macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Barney Regard
    suitability
    I am an old former Big Band reed player.I fixed up a bedroom studio and using Band In A Box prepared background music for Blues and Jazz ballads then imported them into GarageBand for further editing. I then use my arrangements of saxophone quintets and enter all the tracks via microphone.I then solo.I just bought Logic Express and although the drum loops will be very useful I am having problems figuring out how,for instance,the bass loops can be used with all the chord changes and shifting key centers that most ballads have.I have the Apple Training Book but cannot find where this is addressed.Would appreciate anyone pointing me in the correct direction.
  • Barney Regard
    Re: suitability
    In the manual Mr.Namani says,"If you want to go further and create an arrangement using apple loops you can also insert key signature changes on the signature track to build a chord progression and all Apple loops will change according to the signature track...then nothing more.Admittedly I have only scanned the book but I can find no further development on this information.Also on page 257 he says,"The further the playback key and tempo are from the loops original key and tempo the more artifacts are introduced."Does this mean if the song's key center changes or if there is a modulation you must put up with distortion to get the correct chord.For instance Body And Soul modulates three times.I don't want to waste time pursuing a technique that is not available.I can just continue to use the external MIDI software and instruments(besides my keyboard I plan to get a wind controller) ,import into logic ,use the great drum loops and record live using my horns.It would just add so much if there is a way to use the melodic loops without artifacts.Because I have not worked through the book I may have missed what I am seeking.If so,please forgive me.
  • Barney Regard
    In the manual Mr.Namani says,"If you want to go further and create an arrangement using apple loops you can also insert key signature changes on the signature track to build a chord progression and all Apple loops will change according to the signature track...then nothing more.Admittedly I have only scanned the book but I can find no further development on this information.Also on page 257 he says,"The further the playback key and tempo are from the loops original key and tempo the more artifacts are introduced."Does this mean if the song's key center changes or if there is a modulation you must put up with distortion to get the correct chord.For instance Body And Soul modulates three times.I don't want to waste time pursuing a technique that is not available.I can just continue to use the external MIDI software and instruments(besides my keyboard I plan to get a wind controller) ,import into logic ,use the great drum loops and record live using my horns.It would just add so much if there is a way to use the melodic loops without artifacts.Because I have not worked through the book I may have missed what I am seeking.If so,please forgive me.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Barney The feature you're talking about where you can change/automate the key signature, tempo etc is Global Tracks. Have a browse through the index of David's book or explore it from the Arrange: Above the Track list is the word 'Global Tracks'. Click on the disclosure arrow and the Global tracks section opens up. Right (or control) clicking on the global tracks list allows you to configure what global tracks paramters are viewable. Big changes in tempo (lower than the original)and signature do indeed increase the likelihood that artifacts will be introduced. I'd recommend you try this to see if it's suitable for your needs. The trick is to find loops that are close-ish to the key and tempo that you want. However, if they are green apple loops and you drag them onto a software instrument track then you have the MIDI region in which the key can be changed easily without any artifacts being introduced. Tempo changes would also not be a problem in this case too. Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: