macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Hapecoa
    Sidechain Compressor: RMS vs. Peak
    Hello All, Just got done watching the December sidechain TNT's and noticed that Martin was using the compressor to duck in RMS mode. Is there any benefit to using this mode over PEAK mode? Also any instances where I'd want PEAK over RMS? Thanks for any advice Best, Christopher
  • steveH
    Re: Sidechain Compressor: RMS vs. Peak
    Hey Christopher, Interesting point! In ducking, What the compressor is analyzing is NOT the signal that is being compressed (ducked) which leads me to believe that a peak setting (being that the signal is entirely percussive) may result in a more technically accurate and acute compression... however accuracy and acuteness may not be the desired perceived effect... while at the same time due to the uniformity of the side chain track it may be a toss up which one will yield the results that SOUND the best. Experiment with both and let me know what you think! I'll do the same. And remember, I believe this setting only works in "Platinum" mode. Steve From the manual: When using the Platinum Circuit Type, the Compressor can analyze the signal using one of two methods: Peak or RMS (root mean square). While Peak is more technically accurate, RMS provides a better indication of how people perceive the signalâ??s loudness. When using the Compressor primarily as a limiter, select the Peak button. When compressing individual tracks, especially music tracks, select the RMS button.
  • Hapecoa
    Re: Sidechain Compressor: RMS vs. Peak
    Hello Steve, Thanks for the quick repsonse and for the courses you provide in general. So if I understand you correctly, the peak mode will produce a control signal that will more accurately track the transient nature of the sidechain signal. But this may lead to a more "jerky" / less "smooth" control when using a say highly transient kick or percussion loop on the sidechain input. I'll have to try them out to see if there is a point where I would want that behavior. Maybe when ducking a bass with the kick to have a more immediate repsonse would be better? But when ducking a pad rhythmically it might be better to have the smoother response of the RMS mode. Thanks again, c.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: