macProVideo.com
Forums
  • kayleclements
    Great Feb Tutorial
    Hi Steve - Just finished the Feb Tutorials and they are really great! I don't mess around much in the environment as I tend to be a preset kind of guy. But I am really starting to see the benefits of leaving the comfort of the preset and get into the nitty-gritty end of things. With this installment, I just may pull out Ultrabeat and try to really screw things up. Thanks for the creative spark. Kayle
  • woodenboy
    Re: Great Feb Tutorial
    +1 - love the way you've randomised set drum patterns. I'd love to know if it's possible to record the resulting random midi notes as a midi region itself... it seems a shame to lose something if you randomly hit on a really exciting pattern you want to reproduce.
  • steveH
    Nope, it's not possible to record the MIDI. But you can record the resulting audio and then chop your favorite parts into regions and turn them into audio Appleloops!
  • Hapecoa
    How do we record the audio like you suggest?
  • steveH
    [quote:40938]How do we record the audio like you suggest?[/quote] In Logic 8, on the UB channel strip, select an unused bus as the output in the I/O section as your output... Then bring down that bus' Aux channel fader to zero... Create (or find) an unused audio channel and select the SAME bus as its input. Place that channel into record, and, RECORD! Remember, you may want to disable your cycle region and extend the length of your arpegiated notes to accommodate the length of your desired record time. This technique is how you do a real time bounce for any number of tracks/channels! Have Fun! Steve
  • Hapecoa
    Bonus tip! Thanks Steve. Might be a good idea for Martin to add a section on bouncing to the 101 tutorial. I don't remember seeing anything on that subject so far. Also, I was getting some really great random variation last night. It worked really well when I had patters for all 25 instruments setup and found a nice arpegiator pace.
  • Christian L
    [quote:40938] Might be a good idea for Martin to add a section on bouncing to the 101 tutorial. I don't remember seeing anything on that subject so far.[/quote] Hi cGar! Chapters 105-108 covers Bouncing in great details. Maybe you just missed these chapters ? Take care! PS The February tutorials were great... as usual! :-)
  • steveH
    Thanks!!! I'm already concocting ideas for March Madness!
  • Hapecoa
    Hi Christian, Thanks for the reply. I just review those chapters and I do remember them now. However in this case I was thinking more in the line of converting instrument tracks to audio. A kind of "bounce in place" that other sequencers have. Is this possible in Logic? I have noticed a "freeze" function on instrument tracks? Does this create an audio file in the project folder? Was this topic covered in the 101 tutorial? Best, Christopher
  • steveH
    Hey Christian, The Freeze function is a bounce in place-like feature. It makes a 32 bit internal bounce of the track (whether it is audio or a software instrument) along with the tracks plugin inserts! This "track" is saved as a freeze file in the project folder. This freezing process saves lots of CPU proportional to the amount and type of plugins on the channel. After freezing, the channel plugins are frozen (actually bypassed) and cannot be tweaked (because the freeze file now contains their effects). Likewise, the regions on the track are locked in place until the track is unfrozen (which can be done at any time!) Steve
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: