macProVideo.com
Forums
  • riddler
    copying of external audio samples in song back up
    Hi Steve, I'm looking for the easiest and most time efficient way to backup songs to an external hard drive. I score music to film & TV and like to keep the 50 or so versions of a particular cue. My question is regarding the copying of the external audio samples (which I usually have a lot of). Let's say each of these songs have most of the external audio samples as the other 49 versions. So what do you think the most efficient way to back up songs and their many versions of the same (or mostly the same) audio samples? If I do a "Save As" and check all the external samples and exs24 samples etc... it will save everything to an Audio Files Folder for that particular version. This would be fine if I had one song or one version of a song, but by the time I do a "save as " to copy all of my versions of one song and it's audio samples... I'll be out of memory! So, I don't really want to use all the extra HD memory creating & re-creating only to have the same audio sample copied and renamed over & over again. It seems logical to have one Audio Files Folder for the lot of them as opposed to one for every song. I tried this but if I do a "Save As" and check all the external samples and exs24 samples - etc... and save it to one folder ...I get this: Example: Audio Files amb__K26_etheral#01.wav, amb__K26_etheral#2.wav, amb__K26_etheral#3.wav ..and so on. I've looked for some type of option in the audio preference folder but I don't see anything and I can't figure out how to get around this memory waste other than deleting the duplicate files manually. It seems like that could be problematic when the song is loading because it will probably not recognize the copied sample files without the #1, #2 ,#3 ect. The only thing I've been able to figure out is to load each song, copy the external audio files to one big folder on the backup HD, then as it's saving and i finds a duplicate, choose the option replace. This works but is very time consuming. Any thoughts of how to make this simpler? Please Help. Thanks Riddler
  • steveH
    Re: copying of external audio samples in song back up
    If you uncheck the ESX stuff, won't it just save the new version of the song without the redundant samples? Or do I not understand....
  • riddler
    No unfortunately it saves them all again with an added #01, 0#2 etc. in the filename. Any ideas? Other people must have this problem in backing up.
  • steveH
    I do this all the time: When you save, Save as... When the the project dialog comes up DON'T include any assets. This will just save the song. Steve
  • Cajypiu
    I think what it might be is the length of the file name you give it. I've have had that problem in the past about the numbering being tagged to the end of the filename but I didn't link it to the save as function. It would even get to the point where it changed the file name and then the project wouldn't recognise the files anymore until you manually configure which file was which individually. Try using shorter filenames and see if that does anything... and Steve's suggestion too and post back if you could because I'd be interested to find out what does cause it!
  • riddler
    Steve, Yes, I know. I have hard drives full of songs that have been backed up like that but I want to have the AUDIO FILES as well. Not 50 copies of the same audio file renamed and renumbered but One copy, In a folder just like on my internal HD but on a back up HD. YADJ, I've checked that out and using shorter filenames but it doesn't matter how long the filename is, it still saves the same AUDIO SAMPLE as amb_#01.wav, amb_#2.wav, amb_#3.wav ..and so on. Please re-read my initial post and try doing a test version yourself. It won't take long. Many thanks for responding.
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Riddler, have to say, I can't get it to do what you're on about. I created a new project so Logic itself knows where the audio bin is and checked to copy all sampler instruments and samples and audio files etc etc. I then put some apple loops in, which do have numbers at the end, e.g. funky bass 01. I put some midi in there for good measure then saved. Then I added a few more loops, and did a save as (not save copy as) and the audio folder had what was in the project nothing else. No copies, no renumbering. I think I followed your post properly but the only thing I can think of is if you started the session off as a project?
  • steveH
    Hey Riddler, Are you talking about EXS24 samples or audio files. Either way, if you keep everything organized as projects you can burn drag project folders (with all their duplicate sample and audio files) onto a DVD and then remove the same folder from your HD to preserve space. It's just the way it is! Steve
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: