macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Logic Ninja
    audio monitors
    Hi, i'm thinking about buying audio monitors in the range of 100 to 250 bucks. i would be really helpful if you guys could suggest, some good ones in this price range. Thanks, Abhi
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: audio monitors
    Hi Abhi, This is a tough question to answer. If possible I'd recommend going to your local retailer with a couple of CD's of music you like and know well to test with on a variety of monitors. First consideration is whether you want/need passive or active monitors (will they be powered by an amplifier or do they need to have their own amplifiers?) pick out a few from recommendations and listen to them in as quiet a room as possible. BTW, I use KRK 5's but they would be just outside your budget. I've heard positive things about the Truth range. You might also want to check out M-audio DX4 look to be reasonably priced (they are active monitors). let us know how you get on! :) Rounik
  • GrimEpoch
    I'd agree, the best thing to do would be to go to your local guitar center or sam ash, bring some CDs, and have listen. The biggest problem I had with lower cost monitors was in the bass frequencies. Something with a small driver isn't going to be able to represent everything that low. Something to consider. If I were spending $300, sadly, I'd probably go with the latest Behringer's monitors because they seem to have a good frequency response and seem to be like the Mackies. Of course, all Behringer stuff seems to have a shelf life, a lot of what I have has broken and needed replacement. Something to think about. Now, if you can get another $600 dollars, look at the Adam A7's....I just bought these, they are AMAZING!!!! :) Rick
  • Logic Ninja
    Thank you guys. It helped a lot. I had another question though, if i decide to buy Adam A'7 can i be ok with just one piece of monitor? Thanks again Abhi
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Abhi If you buy just one monitor that will be just one speaker - which will be either left or right or mono, but not stereo. You'll need to buy a pair in order to get stereo sound output. Also I agree with Rick, Behringer monitors are OK for the money. Remember that factors such as placement of monitors, room setup, size etc will all affect how the monitors sound. Thanks Rounik
  • GrimEpoch
    Very very true. Having a pair of $2k speakers will do nothing if the room is not setup properly. For instance, the ADAM's are known for their excellent response. You turn something down by 1/2 dB, you hear it, no problem. If your room is noisy, or has reflection or standing wave problems, you're gonna get a whole lot of not what you want :) I spent some time with the program 'FuzzMeasure' and a behringer instrument mic (unity response) and moved a lot of things in my studio till I got a good sound, even using a few sound absorbers. This made a world of difference. A note on the ADAMs, I still use a bass speaker with them for things around 20Hz to 70Hz. (Tannoy TS-10). What kind of music are you doing? These things can make a HUGE difference on your sound. I'd say if you are really unsure, go with the Behringer's for now and when you start discovering what it is that you really really want, you can sell those off and work your way up the chain! That's what I did and it worked great! Rick
  • mtec
    check out a set of Genelecs - 8030A 8020A or save a bit more dosh and get a set of 8040A. i myself have the 8030A's and i love them. i also agree with the rest of the posts here, monitors are a very personal thing, so listen to as many sets as you can. Remember nearfield monitors are not the same as hi fi speakers and it will take u a while to get used to any set u buy. all the best mtec
  • Logic Ninja
    Thanks for all your help guys. I will let you know which ones i get. Abhi
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: