sorry I didn't explain repair permissions very thoroughly.
It's a really important maintenance procedure for your mac. It's a good idea to repair permissions every time you install new software and many people (including myself) do it regularly (weekly/monthly etc).
Basically, it helps the operating system run more smoothly. To do this go to a finder window and go to:
1. Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
2. After opening Disk Utility you'll see a few different options and a few different drives/partitions. Select your main internal drive running OS X.
3. Now click on [b]Repair disk permissions[/b]
4. After a few minutes the process should be complete. It generally takes less time the more frequently you repair them.
5. Now quite Disk Utility and restart your mac.
Try recording now. If it doesn't help then we'll look at a few other options.
By the way, are you running Logic 8.0.1 and are you running OS X 10.5.1 or 10.5.2?
Let us know how you get on :-)