macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Noisenet
    Core Audio Overloads
    I'm running Logic 8.0.1 on a new 20" iMac, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 gigs RAM. I stream BFD samples from an external Western Digital 250 gig drive connected via Firewire 400. All audio is recorded to/streamed from an external LaCie 320gig drive connected via Firewire 800. I'm currently running 10.5.2, have installed all relevant updates including the latest Pro Kit update and other "Pro Application" updates. This issue was present in all versions of Tiger, with or without any and all updates. I've tried streaming audio and samples from all combinations of internal/external drives. To no avail. This issue happens every time I load a new project into Logic. I'll try and describe it as accurately as I can. While playing back, when the playhead encounters the beginning of a region on a track that's previously contained no regions, one of the cores of my CPU spikes to 100%. Usually this doesn't cause a full overload and things continue fine, however, if the playhead encounters two such regions, for example, a harmony guitar solo, or a new doubled guitar line, playback stops and I get an error dialog stating the audio engine was not able to process all of the audio information in time. This is consistent and reproducable in every project file I've got. There are no bit depth, resolution, or any other mismatches. On occasion, I've had this happen with only one region being introduced. If I turn off overload messages, playback simply stops when the spikes occur. Now, when this happens, if I move the playhead back a bar or so and hit play, it plays through perfectly with no discernable increase in CPU usage, and no more problems, unless another such group of regions is encountered. Additionally, if I load such a project, and place the playhead somewhere after the beginning of these regions, while they're playing, this also does not happen. It's only when the playhead encounters the beginnings of these regions for the first time. I've tried slightly staggering the beginnings of the regions, experimenting with fades, automated mute on/off, etc, all to no avail. My projects tend to consist of one MIDI track, with BFD 1.5 plugged into the track for drums, multiple audio tracks containing various guitars and bass, perhaps a virtual instrument or two for audio or apple loops. That's usually it. I'm linking to a screen grab with some descriptive text overlayed to try and better illustrate things. You'll notice I've highlighted a couple of areas. The first one, normally I don't get an overload, although I have once or twice. The second highlighted area, it happens everytime I play the file (for the first time after it's loaded). As I said earlier, if, before an overload occurs, I position the playhead any time after these regions begin, I do not get the overload. I grabbed this while the song was playing so you could see the CPU meter under normal playback. Appears to be plenty low enough. I apologize for the length of this post, I'm trying to include all the info I can think of. BTW - I use an M-Audio MobilePre USB interface, however, this issue happens either with this interface, or using the built in audio of the Mac, with the USB device disconnected and machine freshly rebooted, so I'm sure that's not the issue. Also, after the first playback (and subsequent overloads), playback seems to be normal. If I close the project and reload it, however, it's right back to square one and I get the overloads. This seems to be a pretty widespread issue. On the Apple support forums (which Apple doesn't seem to read), there are multiple threads about this, some with thousands of views and hundreds of posts. So I'm sure it's not just me, LOL! Here's a link to the screen grab... I appreciate any help you can give on this.... [url]http://www.superswamp.com/_xfer/grab.jpg[/url]
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Core Audio Overloads
    Hi Noisenet, as you say this seems to be a known issue. All i can say from the pages of posts I've read on this matter that many people don't expect their project to playback first time without any overload messages. A common workaround is to play the project through from the beginning letting it overload and than playback again seems to be ok. Having said that I very rarely get overload messages! Yet some you encounter this issue have a similar setup to mine. Thanks, though for all the info and posting the picture - it's really helpful to see it. Cheers Rounik
  • Noisenet
    Thanks for the timely response Rounik. I just hope Apple or the formerly eMagic people get this sorted out. It's hindering quite a few people.....
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:38285]Thanks for the timely response Rounik. I just hope Apple or the formerly eMagic people get this sorted out. It's hindering quite a few people.....[/quote] Hey Noisenet, no problem. Have you sent feedback to the Logic developers? I'm sure may others have done this. Perhaps it will be made more of a priority for the developers, the more this issue is highlighted. [url]http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html[/url]
  • Tozyboy
    Oh! This doesn't sound very good, I even read a very long thread over at the Apple-Logic Pro 8- Discussions forum about this issue, and even in some other LP8 related forums. This could be a serious bug in LP8. It seems many LP8 users are experienceing this issue, which is quite a sad thing. Hopefully Apple/Emagic will resolve this ASAP. So far, I have not installed Logic Studio/LP8 yet on my Mac Pro, so I would rather wait for a speedy fix, I'm not interested in running a still buggy LP8.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Muziksculp I agree reading about it, the bug seems extremely serious. However, I think there are a couple of things to consider: 1. There are many L8 users who are not affected by this issue. I'm one of them! 2. Many users affected by the issue have found the workaround i mentioned above as a good way to make sure the project doesn't run into overloads. In fact, I remember one poster mentioning that he felt Logic just needed to "warm up" and then the project ran fine. I'm not trying to devalue the issue and how it has affected many L8 users at all. Also, even if you install Logic 8 you can still use Logic 7. I personally love Logic 8 and have had very few issues running it over the past 4 months. The more people that report the bug to Apple the better, so if anyone has any experience of this issue do follow the link in my post above. Thanks Rounik
  • Noisenet
    Heya Rounik, Yep, I've reported it, along with a few hundred other people on the various boards, so I'd imagine, or at least hope, it's being looked into. I only Apple would stop ith the silence and at least acknowledge that they know about it and are researching it. Anything but the silence.....
  • Tozyboy
    Hi Rounik, I find the workaround you describe similar to pushing an old used car around the block, before you can take a reliable ride ! I hope this is going to be solved. Logic "PRO" 8 should be much better by now.... Sorry, but this Pro Application is taking for ever to mature, and become a solid and stable DAW. Apple/Logic needs to react faster to fix bugs, upgrade Logic Pro 8 more frequently with additional features, and hopefully communicate with their customers. By the way, I just purchased Cubase 4, and will be using it as a second DAW next to LP8. Cheers.
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:31314]Hi Rounik, I find the workaround you describe similar to pushing an old used car around the block, before you can take a reliable ride ! [/quote] LOL! ;-) I'm not sure I share your sentiment that Logic 8 is an "old, used car", perhaps a lovely, new car that has a known ignition problem with some models when starting up for the first time. I agree, in an ideal world, Apple would have fixed this issue already - before it was released! But this is the world of coding, programming, of which I profess to have little knowledge. What additional features would you like from future versions of Logic? As for the way Apple communicates with it's customers...again, I hear you! But, I can't see Apple changing this particular protocol soon! I hope that Cubase 4 helps you as a second DAW Muziksculp. Have you installed/used Logic 8 yet? I hope that your experience mirrors mine - with very few bugs and glitches (except the ones I compose ;-) Cheers Rounik
  • Tozyboy
    I have not yet installed LP8 yet, but will be installing it as soon as I upgrade to Leopard, and feel that the coast is clear to install 3rd party plug-ins, hopefully, LP8 will be very stable, reliable, and free of major bugs in the very near future. As far as the way you put it .... LP8 is like a 'lovely new car that has a known ignition problem' well... I would say that could even be more frustrating to deal with. ; -) The bottom line IMHO, is to have a stable, efficient, and modern DAW to work with, that offers many powerful audio/midi editing features, to get the job done, create music ! I feel having both Cubase 4 and Logic Pro 8 was a wise decision on my part, but that also means more learning time, and effort will be required until I feel comfortable with both DAWs. A company that does not communicate with its customers is not something I find acceptable. I just don't understand their philosophy here, maybe that will change one day, but I feel Yamaha/Steinberg has a much better customer support and service, and have a very good communication line established with their valued and loyal customers. That to me says a lot. All The Best.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: