macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Udaye
    Bouncing - Midi & Audio
    Hi Rounik/all, Hope you are well. Apologies if this has been asked before and I have checked the tutorials and the answer is not in there. I have completed my song in Logic 8. The artist who is remixing it has asked for the following: 1. bounce each individual region/track with start and end points (end point of the song) to audio 2. also bounce software instrument region/track to midi as well as the audio (no drum parts) This is so he can bring in the parts within his Cubase system and have the audio as well as the midi parts (more importantly). He can then line up the audio and midi parts in his arrangement window and manipualte/add to the midi parts whilst havin the original audio part. Hope that makes sense! What would be the best way to do this? Thanks for your help Udaye
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Bouncing - Midi & Audio
    Hey Udaye, Thank you. Hope you are well too! ok. here's what I'd do: 1. If you don't have any automation on the audio or software instrument tracks, you can use the File > Export all tracks as audio files... If there is automation and you want your friend to have the automated versions then I'd a track, set locator's from 1 1 1 1 until the end of the song and go to File > Bounce... I'd repeat this for each track, making sure each track is the only one soloed. 2. If you have created MIDI regions for Logic's built in software instruments, your friend will not be able to use the same sounds as he's running Cubase! If you're using 3rd party software instrument plug-ins (like rmx, atmosphere, NI Absynth etc etc) then you can export the midi file using File > export selection as MIDI file... It might be worth naming the midi file with the position that the MIDI file begins in the project (e.g. 1 1 2 4), so your friend will know where to place it in his project. Also, always good to provide a reference file: a bounced audio file of your final arrangement. Other things to consider if you use the bounce option - make sure you bounce everything in as high quality as the project is, e.g. if the audio was recorded as 24bit, don't bring it down to 16 bit. Keep the sample rate constant - to whatever sample rate your project is set to. Let your friend know the tempo as well... and convince him to use Logic ;-) (then you can have much fun swapping a project without the need to export or bounce all these files like this!! Also, this might sound obvious, but naming files clearly always helps I think that about covers it. If anything is unclear do let me know & hope the remix goes well. Cheers Rounik
  • Udaye
    many thanks for this Rounik, it's much appreciated. I have no automation so I have done what you have said with point 1. As I have done everything with the start and end of points of the song, how will it populate his CUBASE software? As for the midi, yes i have used Logic's software instruments, so what will he hear? Thanks Udaye
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Udaye Try importing the audio files etc into a new Logic project to check them before giving them to your friend - to make sure of length etc. As for the MIDI regions, as they are Logics built in soft insts - there's no benefit for him to have the MIDI regions as he will hear GM or whatever Cubase instrument he uses. On the other hand he might want the MIDI regions to provide extra sounds to a particular part and in that case providing the midi files will give him the notes and quantization values which would be very useful. One thing I also used to do was either write a list of say: 1. DRUM region start 1 1 1 1....end 9 1 1 1 2.... etc or take a screen shot of the arrangement (in which all the regions are named) so if there was an issue the remixer could visually get an idea for what is going on. In fact, you could also take a screen shot of the Event List editor...:-) Cheers & Happy remixing! Rounik
  • Randy Stylez
    Hello to all and everyone's help is very much appreciated!! I was reading this thread because i also have to bounce down each track to send to a friend who will remix my track. I am new to logic 8 and new to using this type of software to make music. I have several midi tracks and use many of the soft synths in logic. When i bounce these tracks down individually, i figured they would now be audio tracks in wav format. Is this not true?? I also use reason with logic and thought that each track i bounce from reason would be transformed into an wav format. I used to use digital performer 5 with reason but i would record all my reason tracks into DP to make them audio files so i could bounce & send parts.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Randy, You can choose what format to bounce to... in Logic. You can choose between .caf, SDII, Aiff and Wave. In the File > Bounce... window you can make your choice on the file format in the PCM section. Thanks Rounik
  • Udaye
    Hi Rounik, Thanks again. May be a silly question from my part but when I go to my 'audio parts' folder on my desktop and 'open' with Logic it certianly opens the software however I cannot see it populating with the WAV file I have double clicked on, am I doing something wrong? Udaye
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Udaye Is the audio file you double clicked on in the Audio Bin in the new project file you've opened? Rounik
  • Udaye
    Hi Rounik, No what I have done is exported files to audio to a folder I set up on my desktop. So this folder will contain 25 WAV files (which have the Logic icon). It is these that I have been double-clicking? as mentioned it does open Logic but does not bring the WAV I click into the arrangement. What do you think? Thanks Udaye
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Udaye, When you double-click on a wav or aiff file with the Logic icon, Logic starts and imports the audio file into the Audio Bin. However, Logic will not place the audio file as a region in the Arrange and it won't of course set the tempo etc. You'll need to drag the audio files from the bin into the Arrange. You can select them all (command-A) and then drag them onto the Arrange. Logic will ask if you want to use existing tracks or create new tracks... Another way is to open a new project in Logic. Now go to your Finder window with the audio files and select them all and drag them into the Arrrange. Logic will ask if you want to use existing tracks or create new tracks... Will that help? Thanks Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: