macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Frédéric Hahn
    Changing tempo on a movie soundtrack
    I composed a movie soundtrack, in sync with the imported film in Logic Pro. I have many tracks with regions and automation. Now I want to change the tempo of the project, but keep the regions in sync with the images. I turned on SMTP-lock on all regions, and when changing the tempo of the project, the regions stays right in sync. However, the automation did not move with the regions (my automation settings are set to "move always"). Any way to solve this in a handy way? Or is there any better way to change tempo for movie soundtracks without messing everything up? This could be an idea for a video tutorial.
  • steveH
    Re: Changing tempo on a movie soundtrack
    I´m on vacation without Logic in front of me. However, a way that comes to mind is to change all track automation into region automation (you can find these choices under: Options/Automation. Then after the automation is incorporated into the regions, lock their SMPTE position as you had before and change your tempo. There may be another solution in your automation preference or project settings... however I believe that my way will work too. After your done, you can move the automation back to the track, if you so desire. Let me know if this works for you. And you're right.. it's a great topic to cover in a tutorial... good luck!! Steve H.
  • Frédéric Hahn
    You're right Steve, moving the automation to the regions is the solution! If fact I didn't know that audio regions could have hyper draw. I thought this was only available for MIDI regions. Is hyper draw for audio regions a new feature of Logic Pro 8?
  • steveH
    yes, you can create region automation for any type of region, including control data for all the fx plugins on that region's channel strip. Moving automation from track to region and back is one of my favorite Logic features.
  • jeck
    hello steve and every one i/ve just read this subject (thank you Federic )PLEASE make " A TUTORIAL ABOUT THIS" by the way, i just love your tutorials i have it all. said hi to IGOR
  • steveH
    Good idea, Hector! Igor says "HI".
  • karljam
    Re: Changing tempo on a movie soun...
    This helped a ton! I always wondered why there was no track automation smpte lock, as automation moseyed all over the place whenever I changed the tempo of my movie score. Converting to region automation seems to be the next best thing. Thanks!
  • steveH
    Another little known secret: There's a key command to open a little known special event list called the "automation event list". Find it! Once the AEL is open you can SMPTE lock all the automation events from the menus on the AEL. Or, once it is open, if you open another Arrange, that new Arrange will show special regions that ONLY contain automation data. These "automation regions" can be SMPTE locked independently from the audio and midi regions that you find on the "normal" Arrange page. Try it!
  • karljam
    It worked!
  • steveH
    Glad to help!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: