macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Mentlblur
    Logic MainStage
    OK people!!! I have a pretty sweet setup for Mainstage. There are only 2 people in my band, so I am using a Boss Dr. Rythem 880 for my drums, and then any guitars/effects/back up vocals are being played on a solo "bounced" track through I Tunes. My question is "Are there any other ways to get my music played through Mainstage so that I can sync the drum machine with the music perfectly?" Currently I have to send a MIDI message (I use the Kick 2 at a Velocity of 1 so you can't hear it) to start the playback of the song parts. I have to find the right time to trigger the song start before the actual drum machine play back starts. It is usually 2 or 3 (64th note) before the playback starts. I'm thinking this varies with the tempo of the song. Also, at the end of the song I have to program a MIDI message to stop I tunes, go to the next track, and then stop I tunes again because I tunes wants to automatically start playing the next song. So this also is a problem. I do not know how to get it to just go to the next song without starting playback. Any help with getting my song/drum maching synced up would be greatly appreciated.
  • Mentlblur
    Re: Logic MainStage
    I could not get this to work. When in mainstage the ESX 24 wants to play every drum beat from the Boss like it was a keyboard. Even though I tried to set the esx 24 key limit to just B0 (Kick 2) to start the song. When I am in song mode on the Boss, and try to play the song, the esx 24 will start playing the sample with every midi message from each kick, snare, hh, cymbol...etc, playing the song over and over and over all at the same time. The only way I got it to work was when I had the Boss in the song edit pattern mode, abd when I was loading the sample into the esx 24 inside Logic 8. I still had to offset the song start to play the song just before the drum machine started. I will say that it was worth a try. Perhaps I may still be overlooking something. Your information was very helpful. Perhaps I may try to just record the drums into the backing track and just use the drum machine as a midi controller for other paramaters in mainstage. Thank You for answering my post. I do appreciate your time. I will try to play around with it some more and see if I can figure something else out.
  • Hoodlum1
    Yeah, that makes sense. You would have to load the drum patterns in as a whole for it to play back as a sample. The other thing to think about is that you can have as many channel strips as you want with the ESX24 loaded on it, so you could have all your parts on separate channels and mix them using Mainstage. But again, each part would have to be treated as a complete sample. Good luck man, I hope you find something that works for you. Matthew
  • Mentlblur
    OK!! I think I have found at least one answer to what I need. I tunes will play on output 1 and 2 through my interface. If I take that output and route it back into input 5 and 6 on the input side, I can create 2 channel strips, set the inputs to 5 & 6, and then on those channels set the output to 3 and 4 from my interface, and just route those 2 channels to the mixing board, I can have controll over the levels and other effects on the backing track in Mainstage. Hope this may help someone else too!!!!
  • Rounik Admin
    Glad you've got it figured out! Thanks very much for posting the solution :-) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: