macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Chris"The Glove"
    Mix & Record issues
    HI all. Have what is probably a really daft problem & hopefully is something you can give a newbie advise on or even a workaround. Due to constraints with my G4, I am running Logic 7 within my DJ environment. I have an audiophile soundcard that gives me 1 in & 1 out (phonos). I have been successful in recording a song from my turntables via my Technics mixer(SH-MZ1200) & can play back fine (phonos feed directly into the technics). However when I wish to playback original recording & record another mix or scratch on another track, I obviously get the initial recording playback recorded as well. I cannot see another why of connecting all my equipment ( open to ideas) so was hoping there is a feature within Logic that can separate the initial recording & the new one? I need to be able to hear the original recording whilst be able to record additional audio files ie scratch or remix on another track. Life used to be so simple when I recorded straight onto CD, but i would like to improve my game.. My speakers run off my Pioneer A-676 amplifier, this only allows one source input at a time, which is why I route all through my technics mixer. Thank you Chris
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Mix & Record issues
    Hi Chris, I've read your post a couple of times and I hope I fully understand what you'd like. You want to record only the scratches and mixing done with the second track? Not the one you've already recorded into Logic, right? If your technics can route the sound from two decks to different outputs then there's no problem, you could route output 1-2 to nothing and the one with scratches etc to 3-4 and into Logic. Ideally, you'd be able to route the different decks to different outputs and would have a soundcard with more than one input and output. Then you could set Logic up to have deck 1 coming in to Input 1-2 and deck 2 coming into a different track and Input 3-4. Cheers Rounik
  • Chris"The Glove"
    Hi Rounik, thanks for the reply. Good news the technics will allow me to split the channels. It means changing cables to do different recordings. but it beats spending more money. thanks again for your help. Chris
  • Rounik Admin
    No problem ;-) Really glad to hear you can split channels using the technics. There is a way of not buying a new interface while using two inputs. Setup an aggreagte device in Aplications > Utilities > Audio Midi setup of your audiophile & the built in input. Give it a name. In Logic, select it as your device in Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio [Device] Connect one channel from the technics to the audiophile as normal and the other channel needs to go from phono cables to an adapter to single stereo headphone jack (which goes into your mac's built-in audio input. It's just an idea. But, I'd probably change the cables round if you have to stop recording anyway ;-) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: