macProVideo.com
Forums
This thread has been flagged as solved.
  • soundwriter
    Moving Region to New Track
    Can someone please tell me the new way to move a region to a different track keeping the same position in the timeline (ie moving a region from track 90 to track 3)? It used to be you just click on the track you want to move the region to, then click on the region itself, no matter what track its on, then ctrl shift T, and the region would move to the selected track, keeping the same time location. But now whenever I click on a region, the track of the region automatically gets selected. Been unsuccessful doing a search in this forum or on Google so far. Any help greatly appreciated!
  • soundwriter
    Moving Region to New Track - SOLVED
    Never mind! I figured it out. But anyone who's interested, you first click on the region, then option-click on the destination track header, then Control Shift T will move the region to the track, keeping its timeline position.
  • Joe A
    Re: Moving Region to New Track
    Thanks for posting the solution! :-) If you didn't always want Track selection and Region selection to be linked, another way to do it is to change a pair of preferences under the Preferences > General > Editing tab -- if you un-check "Select tracks on region selection" and "Select regions on track selection", this will let you select Regions and Tracks independently, so you can select the Region(s), then independently select the destination Track, and use the command. With these preferences off, you can still select all Regions on a Track by Option-selecting the Track..
  • soundwriter
    Thanks for the information - I'll do that asap (it was driving me crazy!
  • JAkins
    This isn't working for me. When option-click the track header of the destination track, it makes a copy of the track. With or without the preference changes. Any idea why?
  • Joe A
    I can't duplicate that here -- with either preference setting it works as described (this is in Logic 10.4.6 -- what version are you using?) Keep in mind, if you have those two preferences un-checked, there's no need to Option-click the destination track -- in that case a regular click to select it is all you need..
  • JAkins
    10.4.4 I can un-check the preferences you mentioned and then move the selected region with Control-Shift T. No problem. But then if I option-click a track to selected regions too, it makes a duplicate track.
  • Joe A
    Hmm.. Just to get a more complete picture, when Option-clicking a track to select its regions, does it select the regions AND make a duplicate track, or just make a duplicate track INSTEAD of selecting the regions? Does the duplicate track contain the regions, or is it a blank track? Could you be accidentally Option-RIGHT-clicking? If I do that the contextual menu that pops up has a bunch of new track commands right near the top -- maybe the mouse (or trackpad?) is overly sensitive and is accessing one of the new/duplicate track commands there..? For that matter, Control-click is the same as a right click -- maybe you're accidentally hitting the Control key, or the keyboard has a short and is sending Control instead of/in addition to Option? Does the Option key work properly with other commands in Logic that use it? And if not, do you have another keyboard to test with? Just off the top of my head, here's a few other things that come to mind as possible additional troubleshooting tests.. - You can try the usual troubleshooting tactics -- restart the computer, test in a fresh empty Logic Project, test with a new User account , etc -- to see if the behavior persists? - Can you test the same Project in another version of Logic on another computer? - Maybe one of the "New track..." commands has been assigned a custom key command -- perhaps check the Key Commands window? - With the Prefs off, what happens if after selecting the Region(s) to be moved, you use the up/down arrow keys to select the destination track instead of clicking on it (to verify it's an Option key issue)? - Or what happens if you select the destination track in the Mixer window instead of in the Track list (same reason as above)? I only had 10.4.4 installed for a short while, and I don't recall if I tried this with it.. Of course you could try updating Logic to 10.4.6 -- remember to save the current version by renaming it (or renaming and zipping it) first in case you need to go back.. If you ultimately can't get it to work as advertised, you could always file a bug report with Apple.. https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html Note: that feedback link is just for reporting, it's not a support ticket, so you shouldn't expect a response ..
  • JAkins
    It makes a duplicate track and this track is selected and the regions are selected. The original track is not selected.
  • JAkins
    Yes the new track contains the regions. It's an exact clone and only the clone has everything selected.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: