macProVideo.com
Forums
  • JJ
    Aggregating devices?
    Hello All! Hopefully someone can answer this. Im trying to aggregate my converter with the digital outputs in my mac pro but im having issues. I would like to record in at 96khz but my mac pro isnt aggregating the devices at 96khz. Can core audio aggregate devices at 96k or only 44.1? 44.1 works fine for aggregating devices but I would like to record using 96 if possible. Thanks in advance for any help or input!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Aggregating devices?
    Hi JJ, Could you explain in a little more depth what you're doing and what's not working. I tried aggregating my Firebox with my built-in audio at 96k and it worked ok. Rounik
  • JJ
    Well Im basically trying to use the ins on my convertor and the digital outs of my computer. Im recording through my analog ins and then monitoring it through my digital outs. I want to record in at 96k but when I go to my audio midi settings to aggregate the devices my total number of outputs only equal 2. (I am using a Rosetta 200 which is a 2 channel ADDA). The moment I switch to 44.1 my outputs go up to 4 which is what I need to output through the digi outs on the mac pro. The reason I am trying to do this is because I am trying to record into Peak (I have a huge vinyl digitizing project) and work in Logic at the same time. In this way I could use the outs on my convertor for Logic and the digi outs of my computer for Peak to monitor. From my understanding the digi outs on my mac pro can handle 96k, right? Hopefully this isnt too confusing. Thanks for any help!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi. Why do you want to record the vinyl at 96k? Is your final project delivery at 96k as well? If not, why not set the sample rate to 44.1khz? That doesn't change the fact that in theory your mac pro's built in audio should be able to handle 96k according to th documentation I've read. However, in practice - there are a few things that concern me. 1. Have you set Logic and Peak's sample rate to 96k? 2. Is your Rosetta 200 set to 96k? 3. Why, oh why are you recording to Peak and using Logic at the same time on the same mac? Perhaps your mac pro will cope ok - but IMHO using a powerful DAW and a powerful ~Audio editor at the same time for different tasks increases the risk of getting interruptions during recording - especially at higher sample rates. 4. Add to this that combining an interface and built-in audio into an aggregate device is pretty cool but not as good as using an interface with the correct number of inputs and outputs. 5. Could you use the headphone port to monitor the output instead of the digi outs if 96k is important. Let me know if any of this helps.
  • JJ
    Ill answer your questions in order 1. yes 2. yes 3. just trying to do two things at once and yes I do realize what im trying to do. 4. I just dont need more than 2 channels, I dont do a lot of tracking. My problem doesnt lie with not having enough channels Im just worried about a bigger issue, that my computer is not working correctly. 5. If I cant get the devices to aggregate then I cant monitor any which way. The rosetta 200 does not have any headphone outs. Well you brought up some good points and I do realize them. Whats bothering me about the situation is Im just wondering if something is wrong with my computer. Ive had a few quirks not just the core audio aggregate issue. Its really weird but I guess aggregating devices isnt stable. I just recorded at 96k and was able to monitor out of my computer. It seems that when I mess around in audio midi settings it will give me the outputs I need. By messing around I mean going from 44.1 to 96 and vise versa till it works! I just have to be careful about switching sample rates and always do it in audio midi settings. I was relying on Peak and logic to switch which didnt quite work. I also tried a bunch of things and although I thought recording at 96k would improve my recordings when downsampling, it simply did not. No matter what when im downsampling its just not going to sound as good. So in conclusion I guess Im just going to have to deal with 24 bit 44.1 both in Logic and Peak. Thanks for the help Rounik and if you think I might be able to improve my recordings in any way let me know.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi JJ, Thanks for the indepth reply. I appreciate what you're trying to do. One further note, would working at 48k make a difference? I don't know what the aim of your project is - but if it ever needed to go on DVD-Audio etc then at least it's a little future proofed? If I have any more ideas I'll let you know. In the meantime do let us know how you get on. Hope you have some success! Best Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: