macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Jesop
    Logic Live advice
    Anyone have any advice, hints, links, or suggestions on using logic live?? I know this is a pretty broad question but I cant seem to find much online from poeple about this. Whether its for full performance or just for the instruments...or even if you think ableton is the only game o=in town for such a thing (as a lot of people have told me!) thanks in advance!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Logic Live advice
    Hi Cuurj What are you planning on doing live with Logic? Playing the Transport? How many tracks? Audio only? etc etc. Abelton Live is widely thought of as the best and most reliable solution - but depending on what you want to do, Logic might suit your needs and Mainstage is worth a look too! Cheers Rounik
  • Jesop
    well sort of anything theoretically! like i know i could probably just press play and check my emails..... but i suppose creating melody lines which could be looped, triggering pre-made ultrabeat patterns and making some on the fly. Id also like to have half made or fully made songs which I could add to during a live performace...all general stuff really. Mainstage doesnt really seem equiped for this sort of loop/song buzz im going for... Im so happy with logic's sampler, synths, ultrabeat...etc, etc, that i dont really want to use (or learn!) ableton.....
  • Christian L
    Hi Cuurj, If you want to only play software instruments, you should try MainStage. It's included with Logic Studio and it is very easy to use and it has a nice graphical user interface. However, there is no way to play MIDI sequences in MainStage, but it's possible to trigger Ultrabeat patterns. IMHO, Ableton Live will give you more flexibility for live performance if you need creative sequencing. What you could do is bounce different parts and loops from Logic and import them in Live. Take care! Christian
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Cuurj, I agree with Christian. I think Live is the way to go. But I'd like to add that you can trigger Ultrabeat patterns in Mainstage and of course use Mute mode to add variety to your patterns. However, the limitation of not being able to use Logic's sequencer is a big one IMHO. If you'd like to try Logic out in a live setting, start out by thinking what you'd like to do - i.e. how many tracks you'll need, what instruments you need to run... will you need the transport running... can you just create an EXS24 instrument and trigger the majority of the parts you want and then improvise with some instruments live... Next would be to try out your ideal setup over and over again until you're completely confident that nothing can/will go amiss. Even then keep a backup plan of a track in itunes or quicktime that you can start playing if something goes wrong ;-) I've used Logic a few times - but mainly as an extended effects rack for guitars and to trigger samples and play a few live sounds. It was part of a duo and we used two laptops and a couple of pieces of hardware so we never worried too much about a crash! Thanks, Rounik
  • Jesop
    thanks for the advice. that just seems like a pretty restrictive way to work, like logic - the powerfull tool that it is - is then cut of from live creation... do you know of anyone who uses logic live at all? specifically with arrange window playng something or recording live?
  • Jesop
    thanks Rounik (the above reply is to Christian by the way!) spose i might just have to get into the whole ableton thing. yeh i was trying out ultrabeat and a synth in mainstage which was great but more of a set up for a number of performers. tis a wee bit depressing that the big cheese in midi that i though logic was seems to be universally seen as pretty unstable or unworkable live...or perhaps its that ableton is just too good ....thanks agains guys for all the advice. your always so quick that i have this picture of you sitting there knocking back coffees just wating for a question to come in so you can come to the rescue! :)
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:25706]tis a wee bit depressing that the big cheese in midi that i though logic was seems to be universally seen as pretty unstable or unworkable live...or perhaps its that ableton is just too good[/quote] I think it's a bit of both... There are many that use Logic live - just not for playing audio in the arrange me thinks. If I think of or find out about any that do use Logic live I'll let you know. EXS24 and Ultrabeat are two very very capable instruments to use live, you just need to be creative in the way you use them! As for the coffees....nah, caffeine does funny things to my brain - I'm on the water ;-) It's always a pleasure to help! Let us know how you get on trying out live scenarios in Logic/Mainstage. Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: