macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Joe A
    DKD Producer Kit MIDI Breakout
    Student452134 wrote: > Here's what's TOTALLY not clear to me. Ideally I'd use DKD to get the right groove, and then split out the MIDI parts to different channels for my own processing. I see it's easy to transform the MIDI events in DKD to different tracks, but they're all on one channel, so individual processing is not possible. I could open up new channels and Option-drag the MIDI into those but then I don't get the nuanced producer's track setups. Or am I missing something? Help! " Hi - I loaded up a DKD Producer Kit, created a MIDI part, and used the command "Separate by Note Pitch" (right-click on MIDI Region->MIDI->"Separate by Note Pitch") to break out the MIDI Region to separate Regions—the top screenshot (below) shows the result. I then changed the names of the new tracks for clarity (bottom screenshot). This should allow individual MIDI processing (Q, etc) on the separate drum/cymbal Regions (via the Region Inspector), which, as far as I understand, is what you're looking for. (In this setup the individual drum/cymbal regions don't need to be on different MIDI channels to be able to process the MIDI in each independently.) The audio is still routed to the Producer Kit's separate Auxes for individual drum/cymbal AUDIO processing (EQ, comp, etc). It makes for a lot of extra track lanes in the Arrange (Tracks) area—obviously necessary for the separate drum/cymbal Regions—but all those Overhead track lanes are just duplicates of the original, so they don't show separately in the Mixer. I seems to me that breaking out the individual drum/cymbal MIDI into separate Regions this should way accomplish what you're looking to do..
  • Student452134
    Re: DKD Producer Kit MIDI Breakout
    That's close, but what I want is for the tracks to actually be channels. This would allow me, for example, to separately eq top and bottom snare mics, or pan the overheads differently, or use a transient designer plug-in on the toms. The editing, in short, is not MIDI editing on tracks, but sound editing on channels. So, in my own little brain on this, I'd like to: 1. Create a groove in DKD 2. Break out the parts into Producer's packs which puts each drum on its own channel while keeping the groove OR 1. Create a groove in DKD 2. Separate out the notes into channels in some other way I can always just create the MIDI for drums from scratch using Producer's packs, but my skill in creating a nuanced drum part is far inferior to the algorithms used by DKD.
  • Joe A
    Re: DKD Producer Kit MIDI Breakout
    Student452134 wrote: > That's close, but what I want is for the tracks to actually be channels. This would allow me, for example, to separately eq top and bottom snare mics, or pan the overheads differently, or use a transient designer plug-in on the toms. The editing, in short, is not MIDI editing on tracks, but sound editing on channels... Hi again - But you can already do that with a standard Producer Kit, even if all the MIDI notes are in one Region (in the top lane of the Producer Kit Track Stack). All the drums in a DKD Producer Kit are split out to separate Aux channels in the Producer Kit Track Stack, where you can apply whatever audio processing you like individually to each drum—there's no need to separate the MIDI into individual Regions if you don't want/need to do any MIDI editing to the performance data. Are you sure you're loading up a multi-output Producer Kit? They're the ones with the + sign—you may have to load them from the Library pane (shortcut "Y"). You should be able to hit the small disclosure triangle on a Drummer/DKD Producer Kit track (see the screenshots above & below) to access the individual drum/cymbal channels for audio processing—those are all the channel strips following the Overheads channel strip in the Mixer & Tracks panes in the screenshot below. If it helps, the attached video (and the one following it) cover working with Producer Kits in Logic..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: