macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Recording Levels/Metering
    Hey, just downloaded the project file. There is no clipping. The closest you get to clipping in the MIDI tracks is -13dB. The master gets to -9.8dB. By the way did you intend to send me the audio files as well? If so, then you need to save them as assets within your project folder and zip the project folder and send via sendspace. One more thing, nice tune ;) Finally, I'm unsure whether I'm missing something here... but if you insert a Gain plug-in on say Inst 5 and turn up the gain to near the top (turn down the volume of your monitors first ;) do you see the clip meter at the top of the level meter turn red with numbers ranging from 0.1 to 6.0? Cheers Rounik
  • acsulliv
    Basically, in this project (and every other project), I am unable to clip an audio track when using pre-fader metering. No matter how much I drive up the gain, or how loud I make noise in the mike, it won't go above 0db. So, something is limiting the input (even when there are no plugins on any tracks - including master), but I don't know what. I was hoping someone could troubleshoot this for me on their system. When you arm one of the audio tracks in the project, are you able to clip it while using pre-fader metering? Thanks for the help.
  • Rounik Admin
    I tried the project you sent me again. I wasn't able to try out the audio files you were using as you didn't include them in the project. Here are my results tested on your project and an empty project using 2 audio channel strips - one with effects and one without: 1. Max input on my interface. Record enabled - monitoring: Clip meter turns red. numeric value = 0.0. 2. playback of clipped audio recording: Clip meter turns red. numeric value displays +x.xdB. 3. Max input on my interface. Using gain plug-in on audio channel strip. Record enabled - monitoring: Clip meter turns red. numeric value = 0.0. Output 1-2 clip meter turns red and numeric value displays +x.xdB. I never noticed before that while monitoring the clip level meter doesn;t display numeric value above 0dB when the signal clips. Interesting. I'd be interested to know other people's findings. A few questions for you: a) What audio interface are you using? b) why do you want to clip the audio recording? c) When an audio channel strip is record enabled do you ever see the clip meter turning red at all? Cheers Rounik
  • acsulliv
    a) - Presonus Firepod b) I don't want to clip the audio recording on a real take. I was just concerned that when pre-fader metering was on, I wasn't getting a numeric value above 0dB when the signal was clipping. Is that normal behavior for Logic 8? In PT I am able to see a numeric value for the clip, and can then adjust the gain structure appropriately. c) Yes, the clip meter turns red, but I don't get a value above 0dB Again, I'm not trying to clip a track. I was just curious why I wasn't getting a value above 0dB when the recording was clipping. Also, when I looked at the wave files, some of them were rounded off, leading me to believe that there was some limiting action going on. Thanks again for the help.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi acsulliv, b) I don't remember this being normal behaviour in Logic. Perhaps someone else can offer their experience to this thread... I've been using Logic since 5.5, and now I'm wondering if I ever saw a numeric value when an audio track was record enabled and clipping. I have never heard of an auto limiter function in Logic and do not think there is one! Do check all channel strips for a limiter plug-in and remember that the compressor plug-in includes limiting capabilities that can be enabled. Cheers Rounik
  • Christian L
    [quote:55947] c) Yes, the clip meter turns red, but I don't get a value above 0dB Again, I'm not trying to clip a track. I was just curious why I wasn't getting a value above 0dB when the recording was clipping. [/quote] Hi, This is because an A/D converter can't produce a level higher than 0dB. If the signal is too hot, the box above the meter will turn red and you will need to turn down your input.
  • acsulliv
    Let me clarify something. The meter itself turns yellow, orange, and then red. However, the box above the meter never turns red or goes above 0dB. As I understand it, the normal behavior in Logic 8 is that the box would turn red and tell me how many dB above 0 my input signal was. Is this correct?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi acsulliv Yes, you're right. The meter goes into the red but the clip meter doesn't turn red. However, I beleive Christian's post clarifies the answer regardless. Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: