macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Tenogyi
    using outputs
    I want to connect a headphone amp to outputs 3-4 from my interface (apogee ensemble). I have not been able to figure out how to use both pairs of outputs, 1-2 and 3-4, the former for powered monitors and the later for the headphone amp. The only way signal goes to 3-4 is if any or all tracks are rerouted from 1-2 to 3-4. There's got to be another way. Can someone help? Thanks, I appreciate any help on this one. SG
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: using outputs
    Hi SG, You can select all your tracks' channel strips in the Mixer window (except the output 1-2). Now, with all the desired tracks highlighted, click in the sends section of one of the Channel strips and send to an empty bus, e.g. bus 10. All the selected channel strips will follow, and a new aux channel is created with bus 10 as it's input. On this new Aux track change it's output to 3-4. This will now be your headphone mix. Let me know if this helps, Cheers Rounik
  • Tenogyi
    Hi Rounik, Thanks for your reply, and for the clear explanation for creating the aux strip for this purpose. I finally realized that an aux channel was the only way to do this and appreciate the quick and easy instructions for doing so. During this process I began wondering if some kind of routing device, thereby using the headphone amp and perhaps getting an additional pair of monitors, might be helpful. Would a passive device (open to suggestions) color the sound, or is the aux send just the best way to audition different monitor mixes (using the ensemble's outputs)? Thanks so much. SG
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi SG, That's an interesting idea. I haven't used an ensemble so i don't really know what options there are for you.... Personally I'd create a template with which you can easily switch to outputs 3-4 as your headphones output or select and solo the rhythmic tracks and the tracks you want to record and go that way.... If you go the sends to an aux route then with multiple channel strips selected you can Option click on the send to disable them all. A few key commands and really speed up the process. New monitors will always colour the sound in some way - or perhaps accentuate certain frequencies. In fact, now thinking about this more, you can send to multiple busses and with the aux's created solo the aux's you want to monitor. In essence it's similar to producing stem mixes (routing the drums to aux 1, the keys to aux 2, the guitars to aux 3 etc etc...). Except you could route say, tracks 1 to 10 to aux 1. Tracks 1,2,7,8,9 to aux 2. Tracks 3,4,5,6,7 to aux 3 etc etc. Then just solo the aux you want to listen to. These aux's could be set to output 1-2 only or a combination of 1-2 and 3-4 depending on whether you want to use different monitors or not. Does that sound like an option? Rounik
  • Tenogyi
    That's a very cool idea for a lot reasons, really. But, to close this out, I decided to contact Apogee (excellent tech support) and learned how to get the 3-4 outputs to go to the headphone amp by using the Maestro software that comes w/ the Ensemble. It worked!!! So, I needn't do the aux thing. Whew, that was a long haul. I should of called Apogee first. Just didn't think of it. Thanks again for your response. SG
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi SG, Glad you've found a more convenient way! Hope the routing different channels to aux's output (mixing as stems) comes in handy in the future! Thanks Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: