macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Julian
    To bus or not to bus...
    Martin Love love LOVE the 101. I feel like a new person. Thank you! But here's my question: I recorded myself singing back-up vocals onto 4 separate tracks. I was using plug-ins and automation on each individual track to get the proper blend, volume and sound. Then I watched your 101 module on using sends and realized that I could route all 4 BU Vox through a single bus. That way I could control the volume, EQ, compression etc from one channel. In other words, I created a sub mix for the BU Vox. But what I don't understand is the difference bewteen routing the 4 tracks to BUS 1 via a "send" button and routing them via the I/O button. Just being able to make a sub mix is a huge leap for me and given how many BU Vox I do, an enormous time and energy saver. But which is the proper way to do it? Send or I/O? Thanks!
  • Martin
    Re: To bus or not to bus...
    Hi Julian, Thanks for the kind words! I would recomend using a send ... that way you can always monitor the dry signal by just mutting the send track. It's a great way not only to apply the same effects to multiple tracks, but also to save CPU resources, because you only have 1 instantiation of each plug, instead of 4!
  • mylespower
    [quote:10329]Martin But what I don't understand is the difference bewteen routing the 4 tracks to BUS 1 via a "send" button and routing them via the I/O button. [/quote] If you DON'T mute the track and you send the signal to a bus, you are getting the full signal of the track PLUS the send signal. Routing via IO is no different than applying the bus settings (fx, pan, vol) to your track channel... it can save CPU if you route multiple channels to a bus channel strip. Read what I just wrote again (slowly and carefully). Then roll that around in your head for a minute... and you shall see the light.
  • Julian
    Les and Martin Thank you both for your help! I have done as you ordered: read slowly and carefully and rolled the words around. Unfortunately, I'm still confused. Are you suggesting that using SEND potentially doubles the signal that comes out of the final output? Because what you describe about using IO seems sort of like what I think I want to do: control the relative volume and sound of a whole group of tracks. Since I'm using Logic Express, this is the way to do it yes? And if so, I think I'm still not clear on the advantages of using SEND instead. Is it that I can listen to part of the original track and the bus at the same time? Also, I should note that the song I'm working on was imported from a Garage Band file, which has none of these options. Interestingly, though, it appears that Logic has taken the GB file and created SENDS on nearly every track. Often 2 of them. That came as a surprise and I'm still not sure why or what they're doing.
  • mylespower
    [quote:10329]Les and Martin Thank you both for your help! I have done as you ordered: read slowly and carefully and rolled the words around. Unfortunately, I'm still confused. Are you suggesting that using SEND potentially doubles the signal that comes out of the final output? [/quote] Yes... only if the original track is UNmuted...
  • Julian
    Got it. Now I think my question has changed though this: what's the difference between a bus and an aux? I think that might clear me up...
  • mylespower
    [quote:10329]Got it. Now I think my question has changed though this: what's the difference between a bus and an aux? I think that might clear me up...[/quote] that is a question we ought to leave to the master himself... martin! your expertise is needed!
  • mylespower
    [quote:10329]Les and Martin Thank you both for your help! [/quote] the name is myles....not Les. lol :)
  • Martin
    [quote:10329]Got it. Now I think my question has changed though this: what's the difference between a bus and an aux? I think that might clear me up...[/quote] Buses "tend" to be used for effects, whereby you leave the full track itself playing, and then bus the sound to a reverb or delay or whatever. The idea here is you treat the bused sound as 100% wet, so no dry signal comes through ... the dry signal is supplied by the track itself, and the effect is supplied by the bus. You could also set the output of the track to an aux and mix the dry/wet signal in the aux, however, aux channels are more meant to be "inputs" for external effects returns, for example, or for individual channels in software instruments (I think both Steve and David cover this in the Logic 204 and 102 respectively). At the end of the day, it's whatever works for your situation, that is the correct thing to do ...
  • Braden
    Can I jump in on this topic? I was trying to set up a buss with SD, to save CPU but my buss tracks in the track mixer don't have any send function, only input/ouput. How do i get the sends in there? Do you have to bounce instrument tracks [ ie Ivory} to an audio track? Any info appreciated. i just got 3 of the tutorials Martin, and they are really great......Thanks Braden
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: