macProVideo.com
Forums
  • azjrc
    How does the AR Int knob work on the es e
    I'm Just getting into the details of synthology. Can someone explain to me how an envelope generator modulates a frequency? I understand the concept of Attack, Decay, Sustain, and Release, but is some kind of filter applied or is it just an attenuation thing? Also, what does the "Int" stand for in the parameter of "AR Int" on the ES E?
  • Christian L
    Re: How does the AR Int knob work on the es e
    Hi Joe C, 1-An ADSR is an enveloppe that can modify a synth sound over time by modulating the "ampitude" (volume) or a filter. 2-AR Int means Attack / Release Intensity. Take care!
  • azjrc
    I think I understand, but does changing the amplitude also change the freq? It seems that when I move the knobs around I hear changes in freq. If so, why?
  • Christian L
    Hi, In the case of the ES E, the AR will also control the filter frequency if "AR Int" is set above zero. If not, it will only affect the amplitude. Christian
  • azjrc
    Hi, Thanks Christian. One more question. So does the oscillator's signal pass through the envelope or does the envelope send it's own signal to the filter or amplifier? Am I way off?
  • AbbeyRhodes
    Hi Joe C, Thought i could help out too. Nice to see you're getting into synthesis, it's a long and complicated path, but one that is ultimately very rewarding. Best way to think of an envelope generator is as a controller. It can control certain parameters of the synth, but the most common are Volume (to shape the curve of the instrument's loudness) and Filter Frequency (for the auto wah type sound). In most basic subtractive synths you'll get at least one envelope generator usually called AMP ENVELOPE which is automatically connected to volume, and maybe a second usually called MOD ENVELOPE, which can be assigned to any parameter you choose. ES E is probably not the best synth to start with. If you're definitely interested in learning synthesis, i can highly recommend the ES2 tutorial. You'll learn everything you need to know to use ANY subtractive synth in the future, including ES2, which is the my personal favourite synth in Logic.
  • AbbeyRhodes
    Also in answer to your last question, the oscillator wave doesn't pass through the envelope. Still thinking of the envelope generator as a controller, it sends its own signal to the filter or volume when a note is triggered.
  • azjrc
    Thanks Fusilli, its becoming clearer. I do have the ES2 video and it's helpful. I pulled this line from wikipedia.org, "A synthesizer's ADSR envelope is a way to tailor the timbre for the synth, ...." My question is, How does "shape(ing) the curve of the instrument's loudness," "tailor the timbre?"
  • AbbeyRhodes
    Good question, once again Wikipedia (as useful as it is) provides some slightly unclear information. The ADSR envelope CAN tailor the timbre of a synth, but it depends on what you assign it to control. Often you'll have a dedicated envelope for volume - this obviously has no effect on timbre. You can alter timbre using an envelope by assigning the envelope to (most commonly) filter frequency. This will cause the envelope to control the amount of harmonic content over time, thus altering the timbre over time. Bear in mind that you'll usually assign it to the frequency parameter of what could be a HP/LP/BP/Notch/Comb filter. So you can get a whole lot of flexibility just using filter modulation on say just a single saw wave by using different filter types. Add the volume envelope and you have quite a lot to work with and we still haven't added any LFOs yet either...
  • azjrc
    Thanks for the clarification. You guys are great!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: