macProVideo.com
Forums
  • jeck
    convert sampling rate
    hello i have a file that is 32 khz sampling rate ,my proyect is 44100 ,how can i change the 32 file to a 44100? thank you
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: convert sampling rate
    Hi Hector, 1. Open the Audio Bin and select the 32000khz file. 2. In the local menu select: [b]Audio File > Copy/Convert File(s)[/b] 3. In the copy/convert files window change the Sample rate to 44100khz and save it or change the name and save it, to keep the original file unchanged. Cheers! Rounik
  • jeck
    thanks as usual Hector
  • azrulsaleh
    sorry if it sounds dumb but whats the benefit of keeping everything at the same sampling rate?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi az85, In Logic once you set your project sample rate if you import audio files at a different sample rate they will either playback too fast or too slow depending on their sample rate. Try it with a voice sample for example at 48000khz in a project set to 44100 khz. Listen to it, then change the sample rate of your project to 48100 and you'll hear the difference! Cheers Rounik
  • azrulsaleh
    oh wow that is really cool. just tried it with my voice n it went chipmunky! strange i always thought the sampling rate simply determine the quality at which the audio is recorded. Guess theres more to that huh. =P
  • Rounik Admin
    Yeah! Well the sample rate is about quality, it's defined as the number of individual samples taken from a sound/signal per second. The higher the sample rate the more information from the original sound source will be contained in the sampled audio. glad you enjoy the chipmunk effect! Now, imagine what a 96000khz piece of audio would sound like in a 44100 k project? ;)
  • azrulsaleh
    awesome that explained a lot. hey i was wondering on a side note, is there much stress on keeping all the bit rates the same as well? (as in 16 v 24 bit)
  • Rounik Admin
    well, bit depth describes "the number of bits of information recorded for each sample" (wikipedia) [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_bit_depth[/url] A higher bit depth in the real world allows you to record an audio signal at lower levels (thus avoiding possible clipping) while maintaining an accurate representation of the original audio signal. Basically, in a Logic project no need to worry if you're using 16 bit and 24 bit files together. The crunch comes when you get to your final bounce. Now you need to consider the sample rate and the bit depth depending on your delivery medium (i.e. will the music be on an Audio CD, for film, for Audio DVD, mp3 etc etc). For example, an Audio CD is a 16bit and 44.1khz compatible device. So, what to do if your Logic project is at 48000hz and contains 24bit audio? choose the correct sample rate (44.1khz) & dither... from 24bit to 16bit (this can be found in the Bounce window) and dithering essentially adds a little noise to your final mix. Remember though, only dither or change sample rates on your final, final bounce otherwise if end up dithering twice you'll compromise the quality of the audio. Cheers Rounik
  • azrulsaleh
    ah ur audio cd/bit rate example makes perfect sense. however I had to ask, is the same true for other formats like mp3 for example? i would assume not as logic don't have a problem playing back both 16 and 24 bits at the same time. also is the fact that mp3 do not have any bit rate limitations (i think.. i could be wrong). even so will there be any quality issue if u can bounce down both 16 and 26 bits in the same file?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: