macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Student484750
    graphic card issues
    hi, mbp 2009 catalina 10.15.7 installed Main Stage 3.5 the app open fine when i choose keyboard i get an error message main stage couldnt initialise graphic component... any one been through this? looking for a fix or work around
  • Joe A
    Re: graphic card issues
    Hi - You have an older Mac running a newer OS & MainStage. If I remember correctly, around the time Mojave came out a newer graphic engine (Metal) was introduced, which apparently only runs on 2012+ Macs. I wonder if that could have something to do with the issue..? I can't be any more detailed, it's just a guess -- since it's all Apple-provided hardware & software I'd suggest a call to Apple Tech Support. Key questions for them -- when did the problem start, did it happen with older versions of MS, exactly what do you mean "when I choose keyboard", etc.. A quick search for "mainstage graphics issues" turned up a fair bit of discussion, most of it going back a few years, but since you are running MS on an older computer.. That's what made me think of a possible Metal issue -- I seem to vaguely recall graphic issues/limitations with certain visual elements in Logic on non-Metal-capable Macs back then, so maybe that could be related to your issue..
  • Student484750
    You pretty much nailed it Joe... exactly what the message refere to... Old Mac running unsupported OSX Main stage open fine the problem occurs when i try to load like the keyboard instanceor any other instance to choose from in the opening page of Main stage On pc you can run a compatibility mode to trouble shoot those kind of issues but i dont think that osx has this kind of function I'm new to mac system and Main Stage... Trying to get advice from more expirement user If it s a graphic card limitation, there i nothing i can do to work around that i suppose?
  • Joe A
    As I remember, back when Logic had missing graphic features on older (non-Metal-graphics) computers, there was no workaround, other than upgrading the computer ( which is what Apple always wants you to do anyway ;-) ) Of course, this might not be that exact issue, but I think you're probably right, it most likely is due to the older hardware. If it is the Metal-graphics issue, maybe a workaround might be to use an even older version of MainStage, from before it was coded to utilize that graphics engine..? But if all it's doing is making calls to the OS, and that's unsupported, then I guess you might be out of luck -- unlike with some DIY PCs Mac computers don't allow for swapping out motherboard components (like the graphics card), except for RAM...and even then only on some Macs.. [sigh]..
  • Student484750
    ok thanks Joe, i ll try to find a previous Main Stage app... from what i understand, i will be hard to find this is too bad as that was a promise app for my rig best regards -Yanick
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: