macProVideo.com
Forums
  • coFane
    Exclusive Mainstage performance?
    I have several fully mixed and mastered tracks that i have created using Logic, AU plugs and Reason. It is electronic music but it has more of a traditional pop structure (verse/ chorus etc..) and I do vocals. My question is: when I start performing these compositions live will I be able to do so effectively using Mainstage 2 (assuming I become fluent in the program)? I'll need to be doing vocals, triggering backing tracks/regions and performing on my midi controller at times.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Exclusive Mainstage performanc...
    Sounds like just what Mainstage2 was designed for :) It can enable you to do all you mentioned. Check out Bill Burgess' excellent Mainstage tut: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/mainstage2101[/url] He was actually on the team at Apple when Mainstage was being designed! :) Rounik
  • coFane
    Cool! I'm unfamiliar with Abelton or Mainstage but I definitely think Mainstage is the best choice (for me) because I use Logic's plug in's almost exclusively in my compositions so I wan't to use them seamlessly in my performances. I already bought the Mainstage tut and am excited to jump into it (it's a super long and detailed!... which is good of course) Can you trigger precomposed tracks and/or regions with Mainstage?
  • Rounik Admin
    Just wanted to check we are talking about Mainstage 2 that comes with Logic 9? Mainstage 2 includes a plugin called 'Playback' which can play audio files. Even better in Logic you take an audio file - say a whole song and add markers to specify the Intro, verse, chorus, etc. When you import that file into Mainstage's Playback plugin it will recognize the markers and allow you to loop sections and jump to sections while staying in time. Very cool way to use backing tracks or even playback a whole composition with the ability to repeat various sections on the fly. :) Rounik
  • coFane
    Very very cool! thanks for the info. I didn't know anything about the playback plug-in (total noob to mainstage right now) but it sounds like it is exactly what I'm looking for. I've been a little timid to dive into Mainstage 2 simply because I didn't know if it would have the kinds of features I'm looking for but it sounds like it is worth the time investment for sure (especially when combined with the new loopback plug)! I will start devouring Bill Burgess's tutorial soon. Thanks again Rounik.
  • Rounik Admin
    No probs! Let us know if you have any other questions... although Bill Burgess' tutorial is very comprehensive of course! :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: