macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Tinuzau
    Mainstage 2 vs. Mainstage 1 CPU Performance
    Happy Holidays everyone! Just finished watching Bill Burgess' excellent tutorial on Mainstage 2. Haven't upgraded to the Logic 9 bundle yet. Up to this point, I've used Logic 8 for both Studio & Stage. Logic is not the greatest .app for Live Performance but my experience with Mainstage 1 was that it would easily get overloaded with just a couple powerhouse Virtual Instruments being used. Logic was better. Can anyone compare/contrast CPU handling of Mainstage 1 versus Mainstage 2? Is it still a Single-Core CPU application comparable to "Live Mode" in Logic? Is Logic 9 any better at handling instruments in Live Mode in terms of distributing these Live Mode instruments among several CPU cores instead of just 1? Any thoughts would be appreciated before we upgrade.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Mainstage 2 vs. Mainstage 1 CP...
    Hi KeyboardMan Generally, I've found MS2 to be more reliable than 1... but my needs are quite modest at times and everybody's rig is different. What are you requirements? Are you using a lot of SI channel strips or audio, what about plugins....3rd party ones? and of course what Mac are you using and how much ram? Happy Holidays! Rounik
  • Tinuzau
    Rounik. Thanks for your response. We are using a Mac Pro 2.8ghz with 8GB Ram. We are trying to run a set with various sample libaries coming out of Kontakt along with several synths like Massive & Absynth. Mainstage 1 was definitely out of the question with these because you had load a new instance of Kontakt for each new patch. Since this particular problem has been solved in MS 2 with Aliasing we are interested in this program once again. However, it still makes no sense for us if the CPU Usage experience hasn't changed at all from MS 1.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi I've tested it on a MBP 2.4 4GB ram and mainly using Logic's built-in plugins. I've found from a few rudimentary tests that MS2 responds better than MS1... However, I know others have been having different experiences especially with 3rd party plugins. Kontakt is pretty power hungry... If possible, I'd recommend popping down to an Apple Store and seeing if you can test it out on a similar machine. :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: