macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Dekuruy
    MainStage 1 MIDI routing question
    I have several MIDI devices going into MainStage. Everything is working great, I should mention, and my question isn't really about a problem, but just a behavior in MainStage that I just wanted to understand. I have a Yamaha KX8, M-Audio Axiom 61, Akai LPK25, M-Audio Trigger Finger, and a Roland JV-30 all going into MainStage and performing discreet parts as desired. MainStage recognizes everything through the 'Learn' function as I set everything up in Layout Mode, and all is fine from there. My question arises from the fact that I actually have three different devices all going into MIDI channel 4, and yet they all perform separate parts, playing separate software instruments from separate channel strips in MainStage. The Roland JV-30 is actually connected to the MIDI In of the Axiom, so it is actually using port two of the Axiom, so it makes sense that even though it is sending on MIDI channel 4, it is separate from my KX8, which is also sending on MIDI channel 4, but through its own port. However, when I hooked up the Trigger Finger, and set it up in Layout Mode, I noticed that it was also sending on MIDI channel 4 when I used the 'Learn' function. It still played a separate software instrument and did not effect, and was not effected by, either of the other two other devices sending on MIDI channel 4. Is this because it is recognized by MainStage and given its own port? Maybe this is a dumb question, but I thought that if two devices were sending on the same MIDI channel, they would both be transmitting to the same instrument/channel strip in the software, unless they were sending on different ports. It will be helpful to understand what exactly is happening here for future reference. Thanks to anyone who can help me with this.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: MainStage 1 MIDI routing quest...
    Hi Adam, This is a good question... At the moment I've not got more than one MIDI device to test this with... but in the Software Channel Strip Inspector I beleive MS allows you to assign a channel strip to a device? I guess this doesn't really help though ;-) Rounik
  • Dekuruy
    Yes Rounik, Hi! Thanks as always for your prompt response to my questions. Yes, I've been assigning channel strips to the various devices initiated in Layout Mode. At first I thought I could just assign the channel strip to a connected MIDI device, but it would not show up in the channel strip inspector drop down menu. So then I realized I needed to assign a Shelf Control Palette Keyboard Object to the device in Layout Mode first. That's when I started to realize this behavior of having different devices on seemingly the same MIDI channel sending discreet messages into MainStage. I'm still interested to know what MainStage is doing here. Needless to say, this is a preferable behavior to having to assign different ports, like maybe through a multi-port interface, but I want to know for sure what MainStage is actually doing. Another MainStage question, if I may...? In the MainStage 101 vid, Bill Burgess demonstrates how to get Logic audio into MainStage via Soundflower - good stuff! What I really want to do is to then take that same signal and route it back into Logic (or maybe GarageBand?), for the purposes of recording the entire performance. Is this possible? This, if I could do it, would actually be a substitute for what I really want to do, which would be to run Logic and MainStage simultaneously, so that I could record live MIDI performances performed using MainStage into the Logic sequencer, so that I would have both the audio and the MIDI data of the performance preserved. Hope this is not too far fetched an idea. Please let me know if any of this is possible. Thanks, Adam
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Adam, :) Yes, the Mainstage device connection is very interesting... I'm going to have to wait this one out until I get some new MIDI Controllers. If I find anything out before then I'll post here. Soundflower routes the audio signal, but not the MIDI signal... so using soundflower would enable Logic to record a single stereo output from Mainstage. In Mainstage2 you can record Mainstage's output to a stereo audio file within Mainstage itself... no need to open Logic at all :) Mainstage 2 is also (do i sound like a salesman? ;) able to rewire too. So, I haven't tested this, but you can rewire Logic9 and Mainstage2 I think... which should give you a lot of control... and access to the MIDI data being played. Thanks! Rounik btw, did you get a chance to try out the Effect Randomizer environment? Would be interested to know your thoughts :)
  • Dekuruy
    Hi Rounik! Let me respond to your last post in reverse order: I haven't yet looked at your Effect Randomizer environment. I would like to, and hope to be able to soon. During vacation I just took a break from Logic for a few days, and, of course, since I am busy when school is in session, vacation is the only time I get to spend any kind of extended time with my family. When I got back to Logic, for some reason MainStage was piquing my curiosity (partly because of your comments about it), and I wound up getting into that, and hence, my questions about that app. I will let you know when I get to look at your randomizer - I'm sure I'll have some comments, and probably some questions too. I can assure you, though, that your efforts will not go unappreciated. As far as your comments about MainStage2 - yes, I'd love to have that, along with Logic 9, of course. I was fortunate enough to receive the academic version of Logic 8 through my school, and so, it is not upgradeable. I use a school owned MacBook Pro to run it, which I was promised and waited almost a full year to receive, and I will probably have to wait until next year to be able to get another academic version of Logic 9. I would gladly purchase an upgrade to Logic 9 myself, if that was possible. However, spending the full price for it now when my school can probably get it for the academic price next fall doesn't really make sense. So, this explains why my questions will have to be centered around the Logic 8 Studio package for now. And lastly, when you said, "Soundflower routes the audio signal, but not the MIDI signal... so using soundflower would enable Logic to record a single stereo output from Mainstage." I understand this, but more specifically, I was wondering if Soundflower would enable me to route an audio signal from Logic into MainStage (as Bill Burgess demonstrated in the MainStage 101 vid) and then back out of MainStage and back into Logic, or into GarageBand (or maybe even another app used just for recording audio). Rounik, I understand these questions are not always easily answerable, so I very much appreciate any efforts you make in attempting to answer. Thanks, Adam
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Adam, Thanks as always for your kind words and consideration! No worries about the Randomizer environment. There's no rush at all :) RE: Logic 9 education license. I believe that as a teacher you are able to purchase Logic 9 (full version) for a greatly reduced price. From Apple direct there is a small discount but I've heard of many college/university campus stores in the States selling it much cheaper... Might be worth investigating. Soundflower can be used to route the audio signal from one app to another. To be honest, I've never tried routing from Logic to Mainstage and back to Logic. I guess in theory it should work. If I wanted to route from Logic to Mainstage and then record the audio output I would use an app like Wiretap Studio or Audio Hijack Pro, which can be set to record audio output from a single application or virtual (soundflower) or physical audio interface output. Both these apps have worked very well for me in the past :) I hope that helps... but of course let me know if I've missed something or you have any other questions at all! Best Rounik
  • Dekuruy
    Hi Rounik! I hope you are well. Sorry for taking so long to respond to your last post. I got involved near the end of last week doing a video recording of some of my students singing a cappella. It's a long story, but it came out fine in the end. I spent all weekend working mostly on getting the raw video (DVD) into my computer, then into Logic for sound editing (I recorded the session into Logic, directly from the soundboard into which the students were singing and that audio came out much better than the video camera guy's audio, of course, so I used that for editing), then into iMovie for video editing, then into a format for the web. Probably not a big deal for some, but this was my first time doing any of this, so I really plodded along. But QuickTime Pro (which comes with Logic) and Logic's audio editing capabilities made it easier. Getting back to the thread; you really gave me some great tips in your last post! Thanks so much! The first thing I did after reading it was to download AH Pro. I think that will do the trick in terms of recording whatever is going into MainStage's output channels. Soundflower comes as an extra to AH Pro, and I downloaded that through AH Pro's 'Install Extras....' feature. Is this the same as the full version I would get if I just downloaded Soundflower directly from the Cycling74 website? I can't tell, and Soundflower doesn't actually show up as an app anywhere on my system. It does show up in System Preferences under 'Sound', however. Is this all the full version does? As for the tip about Logic 9 education license --- Yes, my school can purchase an academic version of Logic at an unbelievable price! But, they won't do that so easily, and it takes a long time if they do. But I will be making some calls to some college stores to see what they have to offer. I never thought of that and that's a great suggestion! Take care, Rounik, and thanks as always for sharing your knowledge and expertise. Adam
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Adam, No problem - reply whenever you are able! Sounds like a very intense weekend. From capture to Output, working with video can take a long time! A really useful app for converting from different video formats by the way is mpeg Streamclip: [url]http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html[/url] Also, Compressor (comes with Logic Studio) is a gem for converting batches of audio/video files. Very cool. Anyway, glad to hear it all worked out in the end. Yes, Sound flower is not an app as such, it sits in the background and acts as virtual inputs and outputs. Can be very useful... Good luck in finding a nice educational license for Logic 9 :) Have a great day Adam! Rounik
  • Dekuruy
    Hey Rounik! Yes, it was a busy weekend. You should know, however, that the video of the performance was only about 2 1/2 min. I just took a long time to figure everything out. iMovie's simplicity helped a lot. I used an app called 'HandBrake' to convert the DVD into MPEG-4, but 'streamclip' looks much more versatile. And I didn't think I'd ever need to use Compressor, but now maybe I will. It's a lot to learn, and I have a lot of learning still to do just in Logic about Audio and MIDI. I have one more performance that I'll be video recording tomorrow. The editing process should go much more smoothly for this one. Thanks for clarifying about Soundflower, and yes, it can be very useful, and so can AH Pro. Thanks again for those recommendations. I hope I can get to Your Randomizer environments soon. Much Thanks, Adam
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Adam, Sure! I don't mean to inundate you with apps to learn ;-) Compressor and Final Cut are very cool, but for many short movies/slideshows I find myself either doing the mock up in iMovie or the complete version too. iMovie 09 now has some pretty powerful tools for syncing video to the beat of a music track - which can produce nice visual effects. If the job can be done in iMovie and using Handbrake... then great! Enjoy editing tomorrow! Best Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: