macProVideo.com
Forums
  • coFane
    Mainstage Looping live vocals and guitar?
    Hi, I just started Bill Burgesses Mainstage 2 tutorial and it is very informative so far. I just wanted to know if it is possible to loop live vocals and guitar in Mainstage or is it just for software instruments?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Mainstage Looping live vocals ...
    Hi CoFane, Yes! Most definitely. The Looper plugin in Mainstage is designed to be used for live audio inputs. Enjoy! Rounik
  • coFane
    Wow, so far Mainstage automatically assigns all my m-audio oxygen knobs to applicable controls and things really look seamless. I'm real excited. It seems like the combination of Logic 9 and Mainstage 2 really is top of the line for production/performance. I can't imagine Abelton or any other setup having much of an advantage.
  • Rounik Admin
    Glad to hear you're enjoying MS2 and the tutorial! Apparently there have been some bug fixes in the latest update for MS2 so that multiple versions of the playback/loopback plugins should definitely stay in sync now... :) Rounik
  • coFane
    One quick question for you about mainstage Rounik: Everywhere I read it seems like everyone is talking about Live 8 and how it is so revolutionary. I've watched some videos and it looks like it can't do anything more than Logic 9 (on the production side). In fact, it looks like Logic 9 can do more. I also keep hearing big djs and producers talk about using live 8 to start incorporating "live elements". Are they just referring to the ability to easily trigger and re-trigger clips and sections of songs on the fly along with some live midi & audio looping? Basically the same things that are easily achieved within Mainstage 2? I guess I'm just confused as to why Live8 is considered to be such a godsend by so many as if the combination of LP9 and Mainstage 2 can't achieve the same exact thing (and even more possibly on the production side).
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi CoFane, Yes, Live 8 is revolutionary. It does cater more specifically for Electronic music live use IMHO. Basically on the production side I prefer Logic. I guess the ability to trigger clips on the fly and use a sequencer is a big thing. Logic was never designed to do that, although it can (using Touch Tracks) but Live does make this process a lot easier IMHO. MS2 can now playback audio and loop live, but remember MS2 is still very new to the game. Live is in it's 8th iteration. It has quite a fervent following and now with the Max/MSP integration has it's own 'Environment' too! If you prefer Logic then that's great. I use Logic mainly for production and prefer it over Live's interface but there are some things that Live excels at and Logic doesn't... It's testament to an exciting world we live in that we are lucky enough to have choices that cater to different needs and workflows! There are things that Cubase 5 does really nicely that Logic can't do yet and vice versa. Definitely investigate if one package has features you need that another doesn't... but as long as it helps you create great music I personally wouldn't worry too much... Having said that it's possible to use Live and Mainstage inconjunction with each other using rewire. Many people use Live in the studio and live and others use Live + PT/Logic/Cubase/Sonar etc. :) Rounik
  • coFane
    Is it possible for me to exclusively produce inside logic and then perform those productions live with Live (using logic's fx, inst and regions?) Also, how well do you feel Mainstage is progressing as a live performance app? Do you feel like it will continue to close the gap between itself and ableton in the future?
  • Rounik Admin
    I haven't tried this personally... I wouldn't call myself an avid Live user... Mainstage was created to fill the gap between producing in Logic and then playing it live (using Logic's built in plugins). I believe it is possible though. I believe Bill Burgess shows how to rewire Live and MS2 in his tut? MS and Live are coming at live performance from two different angles... so it's going to be interesting to see how MS2 keeps progressing. many people still use Logic live - just depends on what you are trying to achieve in a live situation. :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: