macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Slyfunk
    Mainstage
    Can I use my 5 string MTD Bass and purchase a MIDI pickup and interface to trigger Arturia MiniMoog plugins in Mainstage? All I really want to do is play my bass and get Moog tones. I haven't seen any references to playing bass in Mainstage either, are there any bass patches? Thanks!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Mainstage
    Hi Slyfunk, I haven't direct experience with MTD Basses and MIDI pickups. In theory there's no reason why it shouldn't work. How well it works depends on the quality of the MIDI pickup. Although there may not be specific bass patches pre made in Mainstage, you can easily create your own, using an Audio channel strip, pre-made channel strip settings and/or your own effects and settings. Logic and Mainstage come with a Bass amp emulator, Pedal Board, Guitar Amp emulators and effects a plenty! Hope that helps Rounik
  • Slyfunk
    Hey There, Thanks for the info. If I use the MIDI bass pickup can I construct any patch using any and all the fx within the Mainstage catalog? Also, will I be able to use third party plugins like Arturia MiniMoog or Spectrasonics Atmosphere as my plugin? Thanks again in advance.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Mainstage has access to all the effects and instrument plugins of Logic ! So, any MIDI Input device (keyboard, guitar, controller) that sends MIDI note events can control any of the synths, samplers, drum machines, organs, electric pianos, etc that are available in Mainstage. Additionally, you can place any effect plugin on these "software instrument" channels. e.g. delays, reverbs, compressors, filters, EQ, stereo wideners, guitar amp simulators, pedal board, wah, flanger, the list is too numerous to mention here.. Yes, you can control any Software instrument, like Arturia MiniMoog or Atmosphere, Omnisphere, RMX, Konakt, etc which is compatible with the Mac OS version you are running and in the 'Audio Unit' plugin format. If you are using an Intel Mac then Atmosphere may cause you some problems as it is not natively compatible with intel Mac architecture. Check out the upgrade to Omnisphere. It contains all the original atmosphere sounds and much, much more! Hope that helps Rounik
  • Slyfunk
    That's fantastic! Will I be able to run Mainstage in a live performance situation with the plugins running on any of the Mac Book Pros? (13", 15",17") which would be a recomended model for this type of live performance?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Slyfunk, Mainstage is designed as a live version of Logic. It's forte to to allow you to customise your screen and have full access to all of Logic's instruments and effects plus a couple more! Your Mainstage concerts may be quite minimal? or perhaps very extensive? It's difficult to know what to suggest... If you are running multiple instances of Omnisphere or other CPU-intensive plugins then I'd recommend getting a powerful Mac with plenty of Ram. Screen size... well that depends on you. The 13" models are generally less powerful than the 15 and 17". I use a 15" and find it fine... but I appreciate the extra size the 17" provides, it really does make a difference. Some people find a 17" that little bit too big, others find it perfectly sized... So, it really comes down to personal preference. I would however recommend a 15" or 17" as high a spec and as much ram as your budget allows. n.b. You may be able to purchase extra ram for less through a 3rd party supplier like crucial.com. Hope that helps Rounik
  • Slyfunk
    Hi again, I was really looking for more specific specs for the computer of choice not so much the screen size. It just appeared (on the Apple site) that the computers were split into catagories based on screen size. Anyway, in order to run 3 instances of Ominisphere, 2 instances of Arturia MiniMoog, 1 instance of Native Instruments Electric Piano, Compression and EQ would the following specs work smoothly for a live performance?: Mac Book Pro, 2.8 Ghz duel core Intel processors, 4GB RAM, 500GB Harddrive. Also, would the GIO controler be the best option for navagating a 'concert' in Mainstage? Would a 1/4" expression pedel work with the GIO. Model? Thanks you rock!
  • Rounik Admin
    Ah, OK. Well, the specs tend to be tied to the screen sizes anyway... so the faster the processor the better as this is not really possible to upgrade down the line. So, 15" 2.53 would be fine, however, it's best to get a non-integrated graphics card: so to 2.66 would be the minimum one I'd recommend. If you can afford the 2.8 then go for that, especially as it has more graphic ram. Get biggest HD you can. 500GB should be great. You may find that running your projects and /or samples from an external firewire HD will work better. (We can chat about that much later down the line!? RAM. This is the most important consideration for running Software Instrument. Stick with 4GB for the time being. Although the more ram you have the more instances of instruments you can run (Omnisphere, Arturia, NI). As mentioned, using good quality 3rd party ram will be cheaper than purchasing direct from Apple and you may be able to sell the 2x2GB sticks of ram you remove in order to upgrade to 8GB. The latest version of Logic and Mainstage are 64-bit which allows more than 4GB of ram to be used by an application. However as far as I know you may find that NI plugins are not yet compatible, Spectrasonics are 64-bit native already and Arturia MiniMoog I have no idea about... GIO. Haven't used one personally... heard conflicting reports about it. You can connect a 1/4" MIDI Expression pedal according to it's details: [url]http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/gio.php?section=features[/url] Model of a MIDI Expression pedal? There are many to choose from... Yamaha, Roland and other manufacturers have decent pedals available from cheap to more expensive... Why not create a new thread asking others on a Pedal they recommend? Hope that helps :) Rounik
  • Slyfunk
    "Get biggest HD you can. 500GB should be great. You may find that running your projects and /or samples from an external firewire HD will work better. (We can chat about that much later down the line!?" In regards to your statement above. How would you recomend setting the external HD up for a live situation? Again, I'd be using Mainstage along with Omnisphere, Trilian and Arturia MiniMoog software. Thanks!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Slyfunk I'd partition it and place any 3rd party samples and Logic's stock apple loops and sample libraries on one partition and use the other partition to save (and run) projects from. You can always try out installing everything to the standard locations and then move them later if you need better performance by following the 3rd party manufacturers instructions. btw, I'd definitely recommend investing in a good Firewire 400 (minimum) HD with a speed of at least 7200rpm. Hope that helps Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: