macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Logic Pro & Logic Express
    Mainstage Tutorial
    I have watched the tutorial for mainstage but have 3 questions unresolved: 1. Say I have a concert with patch sets that correspond to each song I perform. I want to use a few patterns/loopbacks for each song to be played at certain parts of the song at my will with a freedom for me to still be able to switch between and play any patch in the set without influence on the loopback. How do I do that? 2. I have a concert with patch sets for every song I play. I want to use backing track for every song (that in my case corresponds to the patch set) but at the same time have the ability to freely play any patches in the patch set lik I would do without the backing track. How do I do that? 3. Is arpeggiator function available in Mainstage?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Mainstage Tutorial
    Hi Logic Pro & Logic Express, Welcome to the forums :) 1. Any channel strips with loopback or playback at Set level will allow you to use them while switching patches. The same goes for any channel strips at concert level. They will continue to be triggered while switching patches and sets. 2. Similar to the above, if I understood your question... When you say 'patch set' I presume you mean a 'patch' and not a 'set'. i.e. One song = one patch? Remember, a Set is a level above a patch (and can contain multiple patches). - Create channel strips with the playback plugins at SET level. - Assign hardware controls to start and stop each one. - Start one of the backing tracks (playbacks) and choose whichever patch you wish to use. It sounds to me like you may want to organize your concert into Sets and patches and not just patches. 3. No, unfortunately none of Logic's live MIDI effects (Arpeggiator, delay line, transformer, etc) are available in Mainstage. There are 3rd party arpeggiator plugins available... Hope that helps Rounik
    Thanks, Rounik! Clarifications: 1. When I said "Patch Set" I meant that for my purposes I arrange a few patches under a Set (in its normal meaning). Sorry for confusion. Every song of mine in the concert has a few separate patches, that's why it is convenient for me to assign a Set to each song. 2. Can I use a number of playbacks/loopbacks in a song? how to switch among those to trigger each at a certain point of the song and properly assign controls? Also, I believe it is better to save a playback or loop as a wave/caf file and then simply assign a channelstrip with a playback feature? 3. can you advise such (arpeggiator) 3rd party plugins, esp the ones with preset arpeggiator patterns? Thanks! Eugene.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Eugene, 1. I see. That's great. One song = one set can give you a lot of flexibility :) 2. Depends on what your Mac can handle. The latest update for Mainstage 2.1.1 seems to improve performance. You can use as many playbacks and plugins as your Mac allows... check out Section 14 for some more CPU management advice (aliases) that may help. Section 12 (video 64 especially) of the tutorial should answer your questions about grouping and triggering playbacks. If you're using a MIDI controller then it is a straightforward task to assign the controls on your hardware to functions within each playback. Playback will take up less resources than loopback... have you investigated setting up markers on your song in Logic and then bouncing it and importing it into a Playback plugin? This could also be very useful for you! 3. I'll have to have a look around and see if I find anything... If I want to use an arpeggiator in Mainstage I tend to use Omnisphere (absolutely amazing instrument... with a great arpeggiator, but not free!) I've heard good things about Hyperclick, but son't have the opportunity to try this out: [url]http://www.mucoder.net/hypercyclic/[/url] You could in theory rewire MS and Logic. Again this is not something I've explored in any real depth... Hope that helps Rounik
    Hi Rounik Thanks! I'll check out your advice. I'm really new to using any software for performance (all my life used hardware synthesizers) that is why it is kind of difficult to learn. I'm actually waiting for the delivery of Omnisphere :) One more question, do you know if there is a control template for Axiom 61 somewhere around? Maybe there is a smart design of all knobs and buttons that are present on Axiom for mainstage? Best, Eugene.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Eugene, No problem! I understand switching from analog to digital is a big transition. I find with Mainstage it helps to plan carefully what you want to achieve and then how you would like that to happen during the performance. Once you get the hang of creating Sets, patches, channels trips and then screen controls it will become easier. It can take some time to play around and create the 'perfect' concert... but this is one of Mainstage's benefits - it is extremely customizable and I don't know any other app which allows this kind of layout customization. We're always here to help if we can! So do come back and ask any questions at all! I haven't come across any Mainstage templates for the Axiom 61. It's interesting that Mainstage templates are not exchanged very much. I guess this is because everyone's concerts are so different. But perhaps you can use a combination of the existing templates included with Mainstage? Cheers! Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: