macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Xygupia
    Mainstage as Bidule?
    Hi, After watching the Mainstage tutorial, I'm starting to get the idea that is is not really the kind of an app that on would use top set up a large amount of Logic/Mainstage instruments to be triggered from an external computer, like one would with a program like Bidule (made by Plouge). Has anyone had an experience using MS like this: I have a master computer running a DAW on system 1. On slave system 2, I have 5 instances of EXS, 2 ES2, a couple of EVB3, and 3 of sculpture. I have each being fed midi data by midi over lan, and each instrument is being routed to it's own stereo out put in a MOTU 2408. I can add busses and fx to each track, and it would be very easy to load at the beginning of the day. Now, I know I can do this, but it is not easy to set up any controllers or faders, or do many of the setup things one can do with mainstage that are pretty cool. It becomes a big concert with only one patch, a really big one. Is there a better way of doing things, maybe I should open up multiple instances of MS, each with 1 instrument, etc, BUT that would make the load of such a large number of instances a real pain, and then there are possible conflicts that would come up using many instances of MS. If you were in a situation like this, what would you do? George Leger III
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Mainstage as Bidule?
    Hi George, I assume you want to simultaneously trigger these 12/13 instruments in MS2? Well, these should definitely be possible. I would create a new patch and in that patch create all the channel strips you'll need (the 5 x EXS24s, 2 x ES2s, etc). Set them all up as desired, now build the layout, assign screen controls etc. Should all work fine... Personally, I wouldn't run multiple instances of MS on one Mac... don't think it is possible (or easy at any rate) and what you want should be achievable using one instance of Mainstage2. Hope that helps Rounik
  • Xygupia
    in other works, do the patch stuff before the layout... I was trying it other other way and it was nuts to say the least. Thanks, I wwill be doing this over the next 2 weeks or so and I'll let you know how it works out. George Leger III
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey George, Exactly! Much better to get your inputs and outputs sorted and then tailor the layout to suit your needs. Great. Hope everything works well... Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: