macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Nijemiu
    No Lyrics?
    I really have a huge issue with mainstage in that it can't have lyrics on the screen for each song. That is so way beyond uncool. I thought this program would streamline my setup... well.. somewhat. I've exhaustively studied bill's tutorial, and while he knows the program, it would have been nice to know this tidbit of information upfront. Cause that was my whole thing, to be able to have a central interface for backing tracks, vox guitar & LYRICS!!! Playback doesn't support MP3, unless you run a script for itunes, which is OK but.... I dunno Mainstage is nice for a keyboard rig, but for me as a working solo guitarist with tracks... I didn't need to spend that much time. Perhaps Mainstage 3. Is there anything out there that would do what I'm looking for?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: No Lyrics?
    Hi Mainstage That's an interesting point I never considered, Lyrics. Mainstage 2 is great for setting up and customising the sounds for your concert or set... But it might just be easier to have a music stand and lyrics sheet? I can only imagine that lyrics would take up so much screen real-estate... what other controls and parameters would you be able to see on screen at the same time? You can always convert mp3s in Logic to a PCM format (Aiff / Wave / CAF) and if you add markers in the Logic project and then import the audio file into Mainstage2 you'll be able to loop and repeat sections really easily using Playback. Not sure about other options on the Market that will also display lyrics. I'm really not sure there is anything as customisable as MS2. I'll keep an eye out for this. Cheers Rounik
  • Nijemiu
    The Point is not to have all that stuff, to carry, just a computer. no amps, no stands no books of lyrics to flip through the hundreds of songs. I use karaoke programs just fine, just add that to mainstage. they play mp3s. I DJ with mp3s on serato, got 35,000 tracks, try converting those to aiff? crazy. All of my 1000's of backing tracks? Mainstage is good for keyboards, and concerts or tight sets. But not for the average working musician. I got a pod for guitar, works fine, great sounds, no latency. Still need the computer for the karaoke tracks and lyrics. I'd need 2 computers to run mainstage & backing tracks with the amount of songs I need.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi If the Karaoke apps & Serato work fine then that's great. I'd stick with them. Mainstage may not be the best option for you. Thanks to Mainstage, many musicians can pack away their hardware synths and guitar amps and use just their Mac and audio interface. I don't think Mainstage is trying to imitate Serato, Karaoke apps, Ableton Live etc for a very simple reason. These apps do what they do very well. MS2 handles many aspects of live performance for many musicians who in the past have not been so well catered for quite well. There's always room for improvement though and but MS2 is not really designed to be a Karaoke machine as such. It's more suited to being able to use all Logic's plugins and instruments live... or to perform projects created in Logic. :) Rounik
  • Nijemiu
    I totally agree with you. If I was recreating a studio session, this is a no brainer. I was hoping for more, in terms of utility. I'm back to scrounging for party & club work these days. I hate karaoke tracks and such. just figured it would help make a few more dollars. Mainstage definitely repalces a rack of gear for touring work. I still love a good tele and a blackface pro reverb - my 1st rig, a '67 blonde tele and a blackface pro, serial # 0053.
  • Blinddog
    Set up each song as a patch. In the edit screen select a patch, click on the text area and input your lyrics in the Screen Control Inspector.
  • Rounik Admin
    Nice tip Blinddog (and welcome to the forums too!) :) Rounik
  • drDave
    Is it true that the Text Box can only be modified at the concert level? Can I not display lyrics on a per set or per patch basis? Disappointing, seeing as a songbook with lyrics, chord changes, lead sheets and notes is a basic part of a performing musicians kit. With all of MainStage's other smart features I would expect a deluxe text box with a midi controllable scroll feature. Good tips on the Parameter Text box assigned to current patch, with edited attributes! - Useful, but limited. To some, lyrics would be far more important than lots of fancy screen controls. Anyways, love MainStage, and found this thread useful.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Dr D, Welcome to the forums! No, it's not true. You can display lyrics on a per patch basis. You need to make all changes to the text box in Edit Mode. Do what Blinddog suggests above: 1. Create a text box in Layout mode. Don't enter any text in Layout mode. 2. In Edit Mode, select the first patch. Now select the Text Box and in the Screen Control Inspector (at the bottom of the screen) type/paste in the lyrics for the first song. 3. Still in Edit mode: Select the next patch, select the text box and enter in lyrics for song 2.... etc. Cheers Rounik
  • drDave
    Okay, got it, thanks guys. Makes sense now, I had tried a few things, I think I wasn't saving or exporting correctly. I'm new to Logic/MS, so there's another trick learned! Thanks, D.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: