macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Ranirou
    Using synth, Motif XS and/or Nord Stage, to control Mainstage 2
    Hello all, I've learned much from the Mainstage 1 and 2 tutorials and have enjoyed them. Thank you Mr Burgess. I was wondering, though, in one of the chapters you mentioned that you would spend some time discussing the use of hardware synths to control Mainstage instead of the dedicated controllers you use in your videos. Did I miss this somewhere because I don't think I ever heard/saw this section? In any event, I use both a Yamaha MotifXS and a Nord Stage classic. The Motif has USB MIDI built in though the Nord must go through an adapter. I'm using an M-Audio Uno for that board. I've looked through both manuals and one thing is clear, I need more information about how MIDI works while I plan the best way to incorporate Mainstage. Is there a video that discusses this in depth? What is the relationship of MIDI Channels to Ports and MIDI Channel Messages? For instance, how is it that a keyboard can only transmit over 16 channels in one port but there are well over 120 MIDI channel commands? To make matters worse, the built in USB MIDI for the MotifXS shows up with 4 ports in Audio/MIDI setup. Should I use Port 2 since the Uno is on Port 1, or does it matter because they are on separate USB ports in my MBP? As you can see, yeah, I'm confused. If anyone can help or point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. If anyone has specific info/experience using the two synths I mentioned, why, that would be even better! Thanks in advance for your time and information, GRod
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Using synth, Motif XS and/or N...
    Hi GRod, I don;t have access to the two synths you mention... but they can be setup to work with Mainstage2 just the same as a USB based MIDI Controller... Use the Layout and Edit windows to set up the controls how you wish. From the Logic manual re: MIDI: "A MIDI channel is a “tube” for MIDI data, which flows through MIDI ports. Up to 16 separate MIDI channels can pass through a port simultaneously. Tracks recorded in Logic Pro can be directed to different tubes (channels), which can contain different information, and play back through different sounds, assigned to each channel. As examples, channel 1: piano, channel 2: bass, channel 3: strings, and so on. This assumes that the receiving devices are capable of receiving data on more than one channel, and that they are capable of playing back different sounds simultaneously (see multi-timbral)." Messages... well, the MIDI spec allows 128 (0-127) individual messages to be sent on one channel. Hope that helps Rounik
  • Ranirou
    Re: Using synth, Motif XS and/or N...
    That does indeed help, thank you Rounik. I poked around the web a bit since my post and found some info about MIDI as well so I think I'm okay there. As for programming my hardware synths, I don't think I was clear enough in my question. I understand I can program my synths to control Mainstage but the knobs/sliders/buttons on the hardware controller(Motif) directly affect the sounds coming from the Motif. See where I'm going? I've got it to where splits and layers work very well between Motif sounds and Mainstage sounds and have some really nice fat warm sounds coming from the both of them. BUT, any knobs/buttons/sliders on the Motif directly affect the sounds coming from it. So can't really use them to control Mainstage sounds. Does that make sense? I programmed a few with some clever MIDI filtering and re-mapping in Mainstage with the mod wheel, for instance, in a tune I know I don't need it in. But what about tunes I need the mod wheel in(to control Motif sounds)? And how confusing will that be 200 songs later with different controllers doing different things on a patch by patch basis? Plus to do this for all of my sounds for the two different projects I'm involved in will be VERY tedious. I wonder if getting something like a Nano Kontrol might be worth it, though both of my USB ports are taken up. Which leads to another question: Will adding a hub to accommodate three devices slow things down for live performance? Another question, I should probably have separate posts for separate questions... What are some of the ways you guys have your laptop set up on stage? I saw a rolling, adjustable mixer stand that might work well. Well, thanks again for your time and info, GRod
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: