macProVideo.com
Forums
  • abelaguilar
    Yamaha motif xs with MS
    Hello: Wondering if there is any information or links that anyone can provide on using the motif with MS. I can get the sliders to map but nothing else. thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Yamaha motif xs with MS
    Hi abelaguilar What other controls are your trying to map in MS? Thanks Rounik
  • abelaguilar
    Thanks for the reponse. well..first thing i've noticed is that my macbook pro is not recognizing my motif under utilities/ audio midi. This probably explains why I can't see any midi details in MS for my midi keyboard under preferences/midi/setup. I did go and download the midi drivers from yamaha and that did not work. I th ought this keyboard would be recognized as a legacy device. I'm trying to map path up and down to the motif's up and down buttons on the keyboard
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi abelaguilar What version of OSX are you running? And is this Mainstage 1 or 2 you are using? It's important to get it recognised and working in Audio MIDI Setup. What about in Logic, is it working and fully functional there? Can you assign commands to all the controllers? :) Rounik
  • abelaguilar
    version 10.6.4 MS 2
  • abelaguilar
    Just purchased mainely for MS. Haven't spent any time in logic.
  • Rounik Admin
    what about the rest of the Motifs functionality? Is it working as a Keyboard controller? Do you see any MIDI data coming in to MS2? How have you set it up (in MS2)? Have you referred to the Mainstage 2 tutorials yet - really I'm asking if you're familiar enough with the interface in MS or if you consider yourself a beginner..? Please give as much info as possible. e.g. step-by-step, your process in Mainstage 2 and what works and doesn't work. Thanks Rounik
  • abelaguilar
    thanks i've been going through the video tutorials to learn MS. I can use the motif to trigger MS sounds, soft synths. I just can't seem to assign other controls within the motif to MS. My sliders on the motif are assignable. Still mac os is not recognizing the motif even though I checked that the drivers are present under library/audio/midi/yamaha usb mididriver.plugin
  • abelaguilar
    from within the motif, i've set it up to communicated via usb cable. There is a DAW option wich I set to Logic.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi I've done a little research and I suspect the faders you are trying to map are sending SysEx data... which MS2 can't learn. Are you in Master mode or Voice/Performance mode? Here's a solution: (refer to pages 254-257 of the XS manual) In Master Mode on the XS, select the Full Grand Piano Voice. Select edit and then [F2]. In Edit mode change Zone Switch to ON and Knob Control Switch to Zone. Press the Part Select #1 Button & exit Common Edit. You can press [F3], then [SF2] then knob and slider for all zones should be checked. Press [F1] and alter the transmit channels of Zones 1-8 to MIDI channels 1-8 respectively. Turn on the Ext. Switch all 8 Zones Store the Master and you should be good to go. I can't take credit for this solution (thanks to a forum member over at lph.com) and don't have XS to try it on so please do let me know if this works for you. Thanks Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: