macProVideo.com
Forums
  • abelaguilar
    audio interface question
    I've learned so much from the mainstage 2 videos. they are great.!!! The suggestion came up to use the built in audio output of the mac book pro instead of using an audio interface. I have a firewire audio interface. If i'm only using it for audio puroses and i'm not connecting anything else to it, should I just use the laptop's mini audio out? Will this use up more CPU cycles? Thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: audio interface question
    Hi abelaguilar, Glad to hear you're enjoying the Mainstage 2 tutorial! Bill Burgess rocks! In theory, if the Audio Interface is class compliant with the Mac's Core Audio framework then it shouldn't cause any issues. I often switch between using my Apogee Duet and built-in audio on my MacBookPro and I haven't experienced any benefits in terms of CPU. I have, however, noticed how much nicer my Duet sounds than the built-in interface! ;-) What interface are you using? :) R
  • abelaguilar
    Thanks i'm using Maudio firewire (can't remember the model). Bill Burgess had mentioned that he's had some fire wire interfaces die on him when it mattered most and to carry a mini audio with a male XLR's as a backup. My goal is to try and minimize additional equipment to have to carry, but if there is a noticeable improvement in sound quality, I'll keep using it.
  • abelaguilar
    Wow I took a look at the Apogee duet. Really small looking. Allot smaller than the maudio firewire i'm using. I might look into getting something like that.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey! Well, Perhaps I've been lucky with my firewire audio interfaces... or I just treat mine with kid gloves (not suggesting anything about Bill here of course! ;-) ... but I've been fine. Having said that, Bill's advice is stellar and I'm one for being cautious in favor of risk taking when it comes to matters of digital data or equipment for a gig. Definitely when Bill Bugess' gives advice, I'd listen and take note! ... hmmmm... the Apogee Duet is a Lovely device... with a capital "L". It is pretty small and compact and the preamps are better than anything else in it's class. Some people don't like the hanging connections of wires for the inputs and output cables... which doesn't bother me. It is only 2-in and 2-out and does not have MIDI connections. So if you need more than 2 inputs or 2 outputs you'll need something else. The MIDI side of things would be fine if you're connecting MIDI to USB via any kind of small converter... I think M-Audio might make something. The Duet also has integrated control panels within Logic, STP, etc... very cool. OK. Enough Apogee promotion for now ;-) Rounik
  • Quickster
    Ahhhhh "The Duet"......and with this GIO! No more breaking the back :-) I was disappointed with the quality of the audio from the GIO but was fortunate to have "The Duet" the quality and latency can't be beat. IMHO. The future of music consists of Roland's VG-99, The FC-300 technology and >>>MainStage
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: