macProVideo.com
Forums
  • abelaguilar
    CPU usage on Mac Book Pro
    I'v noticed on my Mac Book Pro that after about 2 or 3 instances of Omnisphere, my cpu usage is clipping on red. I have 4 gigs of ram and i'm going to swap them for 8 gigs, but don't see how that will improve CPU usage. Any suggestions?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: CPU usage on Mac Book Pro
    Are you using Mainstage 2 in 64-bit mode? This will enable you to take advantage of more than 4GB of ram. Omnisphere stores and reads the sample/synth library data in RAM... so this will help. However, one question: Are you running 3 instances of Omnisphere each with a single patch... are are you running 3 instances of Omni, each with upto 8 patches? If the former, then better to use one instance and configure Omnisphere as a multi-instrument. If the later... then I'm not surprised... that's quite a strain you're putting on your Mac! Omnisphere is amazing but it is pretty hungry. So, rather than have 3 separate instances of Omni, each with one "sound" or patch each, it's better to load One Omni as a multi and switch between the 3 patches using one instance. Hope that makes sense. Rounik
  • abelaguilar
    Wow great idea. I'm running 32 bit right now, but will definitely enable 64 bit especially when I go to 8 gigs. I'll definitely try using one omni in multi . I'm assuming I can still asign volume faders to each patch within that multi?
  • Rounik Admin
    Good point... I haven't tried assigning faders of a multi-Onmi in Mainstage 2... but it should be pretty straight-forward using Mainstage 2 and Omnisphere's tutorials. Let me know how you get on... Would love to know any challenges or solutions to challenges you come across. :) R
  • abelaguilar
    Well, I'm beginning to loose hope here. My typical patch needs about 3-4 layers of software instruments and looks like my mac book pro may not be able to handle that. all i've been using is the included Mainstage/Logic plugins and 1 instance of Omnisphere. My goal is to have more options and maybe even replace the majority of the work load on my yamaha motif xs just becuase there are so many cool software plugins out there. I'm increasing ram from 4-8 gigs today and running in 64 bit mode. when I look at my system memory, there is still typically about 1 gig left even with 3 layers loaded but the CPU is spiking. I have a mac book pro 2009 editiion 2.5 Ghz 4 gig ram. Latest version I think its 10.6 Leopard. the question is, is this typical behavior or is there some optimization that i'm missing? I may have to give up the Omnisphere for now. Maybe I need the new 12 core. :-) Can I rack that babe?
  • Rounik Admin
    Don't lose hope just yet... you're just at the beginning of a wonderful journey :) Mainstage 2 can sometimes use a little more memory than Logic... and also bear in mind that Omnisphere demands alot... Have you checked out the live mode built in to Omnisphere? It's pretty cool. Also make sure you have the latest updates for Omnisphere (available from Spectrasonics). There are some optimisations you can make in Omni - reducing no. of voices and placing effects on Aux's... to name a couple. In Mainstage you can increase the I/O Buffer Size (though this will also increase latency, which is the time between when you trigger a note/sound and when you hear it back). Let me know how you get on in the new world of 64-bit... :) Rounik
  • abelaguilar
    thanks. All 8 gigs are in. Didn't do much for my CPU usage. Guess I'll have to limit Omnisphere and looks for ways to get around it.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey abelaguilar, Did you try the suggestions in my previous post? Also are you running Omnisphere from the same internal drive as your system? Is this is standard slow 5400rpm drive? If it is, then I'd suggest moving Omnisphere over to a 7200rpm firewire drive and running it from there. It should help. :) R
  • SkySplitter
    I know people like to keep things in midi, but I find it quite liberating to bounce tracks to audio as soon as possible. It obviously frees up cpu but also makes you commit to sounds which in my opinion is always a good thing.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: