macProVideo.com
Forums
  • kd7gkn
    Multiple software instruments CPU
    I'm running my bands sound through a motu traveller and a core i7 MBP. For the most part it works awesome and I was able to get the sample rate down to 128. I we have a few songs where I need to be able to play multiple software instruments from my keyboard. My solution was to set up multiple (4) instruments in mainstage and map to buttons on my keyboard to mute and unmute them. It seemed like a great solution when I was setting it up. If i have them all on at once my cpu is completely redlined. If I mute all but one it goes down by about 20% but is still significantly higher than if those channels didn't even exist. This was frustrating but I then tried muting the channels and bypassing the instruments and plugins on the channels. This didn't change the cpu usage at all. I then deleted all but my piano patch and my cpu went down to about 50% and peaked at about 80% which is good. Why is a muted or bypassed channel still requiring significant amounts of cpu time? Do you know of a solution to this problem. I want to have them there so I can just turn them on or off by hitting buttons from my midi controller. I know there has to be a way. I know that logic has a CPU-saving mode for muting but can't find a similar option in Mainstage. Thanks in advance, Isaac Sloan
  • kd7gkn
    Re: Multiple software instruments ...
    So apparently muting doesn't do anything which would be nice but it seems that if I bypass all the plugins and the instrument then it decreases the cpu usage.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi kd7gkn, yes, bypassing reduces CPU usage, muting (because in Mainstage it's using "Fast mute/solo" won't have much of a bearing on CPU. I'm not clear fro your initial post, how you've set up the multiple channels... did you create a new patch and include those channel strips for that patch only? Also, you don't mention what plugins and instruments you are using... This can make a huge difference... for example inserting a Space Designer on every channel strip will quickly eat up your Mac's resources... when you could insert one Space Designer on an Aux channel and send to it from multiple channel strips. Thanks Rounik
  • kd7gkn
    I added all the channels on the same patch. I thought of doing it in multiple patches but decided that was a bad idea since I'm running my whole band through mainstage... I can't switch patches without the sound cutting out for the whole band for a second or two. Setting up buttons to bypass every plugin and instrument for a channel seems to work. I wish there was a quick way to just bypass an entire channel instead of having to manually set it up to bypass each plugin/instrument.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi, Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to achieve... Why not put the "essential Band" channel strips at Set or Concert level... and then the ones you want to change at Patch level? That way they won't cut out when changing patches. Bill Burgess shows how to use Concert, Set and Patch levels for this purpose in his Mainstage 2 101 tutorial... Yes, would be nice to have a Bypass all effects in Mainstage. Steve H shows how to do this in his Logic TNT3 videos... but that's down to the flexibility of Logic's Environment and not MS2 unfortunately.
  • kd7gkn
    I liked the idea of being able to choose 1, 2 or all of my keyboard channels just by turning them on or off. Moving every common channel to the track would work for everything else though. I might end up doing that. One last question: is there a way to move a channel from the patch level to the set or concert level? Or do I have to just rebuild and map controls there? Thanks for your advice and quick responses. Isaac Sloan
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Isaac, I'm not near Mainstage right now... but you could copy the channel strip setting and paste the channel strip setting onto a channel strip at Concert/Set level... Can't remember if you can easily copy channel strips between levels... :) R
  • kd7gkn
    Ok thanks for all your help.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Isaac, I just tested it out and it is indeed as easy as selecting the channel strips and Edit > Cut/Copy and select the Set or Concert and Edit > Paste. :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: