macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Paul, Rob & Neil
    Mainstage: First Attempt
    We are planning to use Mainstage in our live show, we have a lot of questions - some of which have been answered in this forums as we have been searching. So here goes with a few... - What is the main advantage of using Mainstage instead of a standard logic session with Aiff files? - When using a standard logic session we pan the back tracks to one side & click to the other, then Rob (drummer) just hears click and back tracks plays mono through the DI. Is this similar to how people use Mainstage or is there a better way of Rob hearing click but not audience? - Can we use Mainstage to trigger lighting / video? If yes then is the best way through a midi trigger note? - Finally - is our Mac / version of mainstage up to the job!? We have Mainstage 1 not 2 (is there a big difference?) and 2.4ghz Macbook with 2gig SD Ram. That is a LOT of questions! Love www.empiresignal.com
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Mainstage: First Attempt
    Hi Paul, Rob & Neil, And welcome (all three of you) to the macProVideo forums! I'll try and answer all your questions if I can... - Mainstage acts as a very customisable interface for live use. You can also use all of the built-in plug-ins within Logic in Mainstage. It's easy to switch between sets/patches and songs and customise the interface and controls of those channels in MS. If you're only planning on playing back Aiff files and not performing using Logic's instruments then Logic might be best suited for you... or Mainstage 2 (which has a playback and loop back plug-in) could be more useful. - There are many ways to route audio signal in Logic and Mainstage. I can't remember now with MS1, but I believe in MS2 it's pretty easy to route the metronome to a different output from your audio interface - depending on how many outputs you have which can be sent to Rob and the main output could go to FoH (Front of House). - Yup, Mainstage can be used to trigger lighting and video. MIDI Trigger note might well be the best way to make this happen. Need a little more info on what you're planning to achieve and with what other equipment/apps. - Mainstage 1 was pretty good... but in all honesty I think Mainstage 2 is more up to the job. Small aesthetic changes - but some tweaks under the hood have made it more stable by all accounts. The proof is in the pudding though. I'd say spend a little time learning how Mainstage works and try it out in your next rehearsal. If you're using a zillion Instruments and Effects then any live performance tool may struggle with a MBP and only 2GB ram... so it depends on what your aims are with the software... Hope that helps Rounik
  • 3ViewsOfSD
    We're currently using MS2 in the process of migrating from using the on board sequencer on a Triton Studio. My process involves programming/recording in Logic. Exporting a separate click track as an audio file and bounce a mix of the backing tracks. Using the "Backing Tracks" template in MS2 which is configured for 8 backing tracks, I just drag/drop the aif files directly on the channel strips that have the Playback plugin inserted. All of the markers you created in your Logic session are imported with the audio files. Very cool! Grouping the Playback plugins enables all the audio files to play in sync. From MS2 I route the click to a designated output on our audio interface, for example channel 8. This feeds the drummer's 4-channel mixer which he monitors via headphones. The backing tracks are routed to output channels 3-4. Then we split the stereo backing tracks from the interface to feed the drummer's mixer and FoH. IMO, running a stereo mix makes it sound fuller and allows it to breath so to speak. I'm new to MS2 and just barely scratching the surface so I'm keeping it simple. However, I do anticipate using individual audio tracks (ie. bass, keys, BGVs etc.) and sending them discretely to allow the sound engineer to mix them live. And also to configure MS2 to play keyboards and/or electric guitar live via MS2.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi 3ViewsOfSD, Welcome to the forums :) I also love the way Marker and tempo info from a project in Logic 9 are saved to the their audio files. Love that integration with MS2's Playback plugin. Must admit the Loopback hasn't been as glitch free as I'd like, but it's not something I'd personally use too much anyhow. Should also mention that Bill Burgess' tutorial on Mainstage2 is excellent. One to check out if you get time: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/mainstage2101[/url] Cheers Rounik
  • 3ViewsOfSD
    Thanks, I did a few weeks ago and find they are excellent. I would love to subcribe except money is really tight at the moment. Hopefully that will improve soon.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey, Did you know there's a 50% HD download offer for all tutorials until end of today? The code was sent by newsletter a couple of days back... (Just in case you weren't aware)... But, of course if you have any questions, post them here and we'll do our best to help :)
  • 3ViewsOfSD
    Thanks for the tip. Rechecked my email and found the coupon. Just purchased it. : )
  • Rounik Admin
    No probs ;-) Hope you enjoy it!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: