macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Xybyfoy
    How do I map my own audio sample to a key on my keyboard within
    ie How to I trigger my own samples (eg of a phone ringing or a section of music I sampled) played from my keyboard in mainstage ie assigned to a particular key on the keyboard within a patch ?
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: How do I map my own audio sample to a key on my ke...
    Have you tried using the EXS24? Click on the edit button on the EXS24. This will bring up the EXS24 Editor Window. Here you can add samples assigned to specific notes. Remember to save your new EXS24 instrument before closing the EXS24 Editor Window from the [b]Instrument > Save As[/b] menu.
  • Jehubyi
    Hi Jim and Gary, I'm learning Mainstage as well, but I'll take a stab and see what the big boys (Gary and Rounik) think: You could open a new channel strip within that patch, and then insert an Ultrabeat drum machine into that channel strip, then load the DRAG and DROP SAMPLES setting within Ultrabeat, and then near the bottom of UB where it says 'phase osc - sample - model (in OSC 2)', you click on sample and then load your sample in there, and finally map a key on your keyboard to the key that your sample is in UB. That's how I've been doing it. There's probably an easier way, so I'm gonna check back after Gary and Rounik, or someone, has replied. Thanks. riftmazefee
  • GaryHiebner
    Thanks, great advice riftmazefee. Ultrabeat will work as well. I'm so used to using the EXS24 as a sampler, I didn't even think of Ultrabeat. Thanks.
  • Jehubyi
    Heh Gary, So, which do you think is better: EXS24 or UB? Some say either or, but I heard that with the EXS24 if you re-trigger the sample (by triggering the key on the keyboard) the samples OVERLAP one another. While I got ya here Gary: Can you give me a lesson on using the built in keyboard? I can't figure out how to use it either:( Dang, so much to learn! Thanks. riftmazefee
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Re: Re: How do I map my own audio sample to a key on my ke..
    I think it is a preference thing. UB works great as a sampler, but the EXS24 does have more options as a sampler. Where as the UB does have a built-in sequencer. An excellent tutorial to watch is: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic8102[/url] It explains all the features in the EXS24. Are you using the built-in keyboard in Mainstage or Logic? If in Mainstage, then press [b]Command-K[/b] to bring up the Musical keyboard. Then you can use the keys on your computer keyboard. If in Logic, all you need to do is press the CAPS key and then a keyboard will pop up on the screen, showing you that the keyboard is enabled. You can you the Transparency slider to change how visible and transparent it is.
  • Jehubyi
    Hi again Gary, Thanks for the tips:) I'm 'trying' to use the built-in-keyboard with Mainstage, and I want to trigger the UB pattern sequencer but can't figure it out yet:( I'll keep fuddling around with it:) riftmazefee
  • GaryHiebner
    Use the [b]Musical Typing[/b] Keyboard (Cmd-K) and then press [b]Z[/b] to get you down to Octave C-1. Now you will be able to trigger the different patterns on Ultrabeat via the Musical Typing Keyboard
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: