macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Jonelle
    Loopback w/out metronome
    On the tutorial, BB does a one bar loop in time with a metronome. Is it possible to generate a loop that happens in real time, without pre-click? I want to be able to record a groove, loop that, and then solo over it (like what the BOSS RC3 Loop pedal does for guitarists). Thanks.
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Loopback w/out metronome
    Hi Aliena, Which Mainstage tutorial is this? I'll take a look through the tutorial and see what can be done.
  • Jonelle
    It's Mainstage 2. Thanks.
  • GaryHiebner
    Thanks. Can you give me the number of the video, so that I can jump straight to it and see what you mean? Thanks.
  • GaryHiebner
    I haven't used Mainstage lately, so I have to refresh myself. Are you talking about the Loopback plug-in? Have you looked at this link to the Apple Mainstage manual that explains the Loopback plug-in? [url]http://help.apple.com/mainstage/mac/2.2/en/mainstage/usermanual/index.html#chapter=B%26section=0%26tasks=true[/url]
  • Jonelle
    Hi Gary, Thanks so much for trying to help me out. I read the Apple manual before and it didn't shed light on what I was going for. In the Mainstage 2 tutorial, the #s dealing with Loopback are 65-66. Bill discusses how to get a loop working, but his examples start out with click or are at the top of a count. I want to know if it's possible to get that going in a live situation. Some solo guitarists use a looping pedal that they stomp on it where they want their loop to begin and stomp on it again to capture it. Then they start playing or soloing over that loop. At some point they turn it off and go back to playing in real time. That's what I would like to do with the Loopback plug-in, if it's possible!
  • GaryHiebner
    Hi Aliena, It definitely looks like what you wish to achieve is possible with the Loopback plug-in. I would like to understand further what you wish to do with it. You say you want to create a groove and then loop over that with a 'solo'. What will you be using to create the groove? A drum instrument in Mainstage? And what will you be using to do the 'solo'? A guitar, or an instrument in Mainstage?
  • Jonelle
    Hi Gary, I play with a drummer. The patches I use are bass (LH) and some kind of keyboard (RH). What I want to do is play in real time with the drummer, be able to hit a switch at the top of a loop/groove, allow that loop to continue playing while I am soloing over it (usually a keyboard or synth sound). And then of course, turn the loop off/fade out so I can get back into playing in real time. While we're at it, do you have a good recommend a for a simple but sturdy foot switch/controller to turn the loopback plug-in on? Thanks again for your time.
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Re: Loopback w/out metronome
    If you want a great foot controller take a look at the Apogee Gio. Read our review on it here. [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/audio-hardware/apogee-gio-review[/url] Also look at the Roland FC-300 ([url]http://www.roland.com/products/en/FC-300[/url]), and the Behringer FCB1010 ([url]www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FCB1010.aspx[/url]). If you turn the Metronome OFF and the Sync OFF, won't this work as you want it to?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: