macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Jonelle
    Performance & CPU usage advice
    Hello there, I've been working with Mainstage 2 for the last 2 months, preparing my patches and concert with no major crashes. But before we hit the real stage--do you have any additional advice about using Mainstage in live performance? So far my crashes have happened while working on patches, but not necessarily while actually playing. I have some audio playback programmed in (small samples), but the bulk are the patches (about 50 right now) that I've put into the concert. I EQ'd here and there and added a few effects. I already know that I should have all other programs closed, and to turn off any wireless connection. In addition, I notice that my CPU increases as I work --(per Activity monitor, not MS meter or iStat--why do these all register different percentages anyway?) it goes between 70% and sometimes surges over 100%, with MS memory usage at 32%. I have a Macbook Pro 5.5, version 10.6.8, Intel Core Duo, 4 GB memory. Any feedback is well appreciated.
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Performance & CPU usage advice
    Hi Aliena, You could up the RAM to 8GB on your Macbook. This is the max RAM the unit can have. This should increase the performance on your Mac. Try and get the percentage usage down lower. Say between 30-45%. This way you will be more guaranteed to having less dropouts due to less strain on the CPU. Live performances are always a form of compromise when it comes to technology. And its better to be safe than sorry. While you performing make sure Mainstage is the only application open. Any other application will take from the memory usage.
  • Jonelle
    Thanks Gary.
  • GaryHiebner
    Pleasure.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: