macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Jonelle
    audio outs
    I have Mainstage 2 running with my MacBook Pro. Works like a charm live except...I play patches that are split-- of traditional keyboard sounds (piano, org, rhodes) in the upper register and bass sounds (acoustic, electric) in the lower register. In my headphones or at home everything sounds great, but in a live setting, I have trouble controlling volume levels between patches and most esp. the bass sounds. Keyboard bass is very hard to get crisp and tight in a live room. Question 1: Can I put a limiter (?) plug-in on my patches (or set or concert for that matter) so that when I go from patch to patch there are no surprising jumps? Question 2: In a patch with multiple instruments, how can I bus the output of one sound into a different channel? Specifically, with bass guitar sounds, it would be great if I could isolate the output from the rest of the patch. This way, it can be controlled or compressed (or whatever) and the sound people won't kill me at the gig... Should I be using an audio interface with the capacity to separate output channels? If so, can you recommend a reliable, basic and affordable one? Thanks.
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: audio outs
    Hi Jonelle, What audio interface are you currently using? Are you just using the built-in audio device on your Mac? Yes, you can use a limiter (such as the Adaptive Limiter) on the individual channel or on your master output. The Master output will be your best bet. On your instruments you can set the output to a bus channel (such as Bus 1). Then you can add additional processing such as compression to this bus channel as desired. What is your budget for an audio interface? We can recommend many, but it is all dependant on your budget.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: