macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Mike
    External SSD for Sound Libraries
    I have been using Mainstage 2 on a new MacBook Pro with 8 gigs of Ram for about one year now only for live performance. I have Omnisphere and Ivory 2 libraries on my MacBook hard drive. I just bought Viena Instruments (strings only) and was about to load the 60 GB library on my hard drive, when I noticed the instructions say I should use an external drive. I found a Lacie 240 GB SSD with Thunderbolt connection which will hold all three libraries and have 100 GB for future libraries. Why should I put my libraries on an external drive? Will this free up some Ram because I have a problem with too many big patches in one concert - sometimes exceeds my 8 Gigs of Ram? I run two keyboards, so I usually have anywhere from 2 to 6 "sounds" from different libraries making up one patch (piano layered with synth on bottom keyboard, top keyboard may be split with another synth and an organ for example). My biggest problem is with Ivory 2 piano patches. They must be huge. Sometimes I have to scale the Ivory 2 level down, which effects the sound quality, but allows them to fit in my Ram. Thanks, Mike
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: External SSD for Sound Libraries
    It is good to keep your sample libraries on a separate drive this takes the strain off your primary system drive. By splitting up the sample libraries from your system drive, you allow your system to focus on the important tasks of running the applications, and then your read/write speeds will be better when Mainstage (or your other audio applications as well) is accessing the samples off an external drive.
  • Mike
    Re: External SSD for Sound Libraries
    Thanks Gary. Is speed of the external drive important? Should I go to a SSD with Thunderbolt connection or would a standard drive with USB-2 connect work OK? Also, is there any way to keep Mainstage from trying to load all patches in a concert into RAM? I would like to have some concerts with 10-15 patches, but I seem limited to about 5 patches. Any more than 5 and my CPU and memory lights go red and I get severe latency problems. Then I have to either remove a patch or reduce the size (quality) of some sounds within patches. I have 8 gigs of memory in my MacBook Pro and I have nothing loaded on this computer other than what is needed for live performance. Thanks again. Mike
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: