macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Dajusyu
    Mainstage, Kontakt and sustain
    Hello, I have a huge problem i cannot solve. Using Kontakt player thorugh Mainstage, the sustain pedal doesn't work. It seems that MIDI signals from my keyboard and MIDI signals from the pedal are transmitted from Mainstage to Kontakt as if they come from two different MIDI channels. It's not true, as they are both mapped in Mainstage on the same MIDI channel. In fact, I have no problem using other plug-ins (Pianoteq for example) or using Kontakt player in standalone mode. I'm now using Mainstage version 2.1.3, but the problem remains also in the 2.2. Someone can help me? Thanks, corrado
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Mainstage, Kontakt and sustain
    In Mainstage you need to create a keyboard surface in Layout mode, then assign it and map it to the keyboard you want to play that channel strip with in edit mode. So if you map a sustain pedal object for Kontakt, Mainstage will receive its message.
  • Dajusyu
    Hi Gary, thank you for the reply. I don't know if I have understood your suggestion. Actually I created the keyboard surface with the sustain pedal in Layout mode, and assigned and mapped in edit mode. In fact if I choose in the channel strip another VST like Pianoteq all works perfectly. The problem comes when I choose to use a sample library (in particular NeoSoul Keys 3x) with Kontakt player.
  • GaryHiebner
    Oh, ok I see. Let me have a check and see if I can find a solution for you. I don't use Kontakt and MainStage together too much. Let me do a bit of testing and see how to fix this.
  • Dajusyu
    Thank you very much Gary. I have now tried with another sample library in kontakt and all works, so I'm afraid that the problem can be in the particular NeoSoulKeys 3X library, even if I don't understand how and why. I'll try to contact the support, but if you have any sort of suggestion, I'll appreciate it.
  • GaryHiebner
    Ok, great that you found the reason why. Yes, best to contact the support and see why the sustain pedal isn't operating like the other sample libraries for Kontakt.
  • Rubikz91
    Hey, I had the same problem, but after messing with Mainstage for awhile, I believe I found the solution. All you have to do is go into the Layout view and click the pedal, then under "Hardware Input" where it says "Channel:" change this to Unassigned. You could also simply delete the pedal. Here is a video I made of how to fix this issue: [url]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR8skmD6j-4&feature=youtu.be[/url] Both ways should work. The pedal should be "hardware based" and so mapping it only confuses and messes things up. It should work now. Kontakt only allows you to map pedals to midi channel 1 for some reason. And if, like me, you are using multiple keyboards, using 1 midi channel is not an option. So...best off just not even mapping a pedal in Mainstage. It should work by itself!
  • Dajusyu
    Thank you Rubikz, it worked!!! You don't know how much time I've lost trying to solve this problem... Go and visit Turin, I'll offer you a beer! :-)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: