macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Dikogiu
    Assigning hardware controls on Alesis Vortex Keytar
    Would appreciate some help on an issue I am having with my Alesis Vortex Wireless Keytar! The Alesis Vortex Wireless is a standard midi controller that comes with a patch editor and a sweet SONiVOX DVI (stand alone or plug-in DVI) and for better live capabilities I want to use the Vortex with MainStage 2 (so I can use 32-bit SONiVOX plug-in) and MainStage 3. Here is my problem, the Vortex controller seems to have two different types of surface controls on it. It has some knobs that I can easily assign and map in MainStage, but it has other buttons that are "pre-assigned" to functions on the keytar that I can't seem to change. For instance, as soon as I plug-in the Vortex MainStage recognizes the pitch wheel, sustain button, octave up and down, volume slider, program up and down buttons etc. Well, when I try to re-assign these buttons to do other functions in MainStage I am not able to and the Vortex keeps following the functions of the labeled buttons from what I can tell on the LCD screen. So, while the Vortex is supposed to be a simple midi controller it doesn't seem like all the buttons are assignable with MainStage and I can't seem to change the functions of some of the buttons. I don't know if this problem can be remedied with the accompanied patch editor software or if you have any other suggestions, but I am limited on my number of surface controls right now because they cannot all be assigned. Thank you!
  • Funkosauras
    Re: Assigning hardware controls on Alesis Vortex Keyta...
    Playindem, There are certainly a few buttons on the Vortex that won't be re-assignable. The ones you have mentioned fall into that category. It is possible to have MainStage do 'different' things with the pitch wheel, though by either filtering it out for a single patch or re-assigning it to send data elsewhere. I would imagine the reasoning behind it is that certain functions (like shifting up and down an octave) are going to be pretty necessary for a keytar and they wanted dedicated functions for them. If you need more assignments, don't forget you can quickly make different patches on the vortex that will reset all the buttons and knobs to do totally different things at the press of a button. Think of it as a 'bank' for the Vortex that will allow you to control a bunch of different things in MainStage without actually changing the patch in MainStage. Hope that helps!
  • Dikogiu
    Re: Assigning hardware controls on Alesis Vortex Keyta...
    Matt, I just wanted to get some clarity on your idea of creating patches. So, when you say make different patches on the vortex, you literally mean making a patch on the keytar and not making a new patch in MainStage? When I create new patches with different button and knob assignments would I use the accompanied "Vyzex Vortex" patch editor software? Also, how is MainStage going to react with creating patches separately on the Vortex? The main problem I have run into is using the ribbon's three different modes, they are preset to act a certain way (like panning). Basically, I am having trouble assigning every surface control function on the vortex. Thanks for the help!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: