macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Student444637
    MainStage and the PreSonus Atom
    I have just been assigned some duties involving the use of MainStage. I also have a sample pad, the PreSonus Atom, and I’m using it to trigger audio files. This is working ok, but I would prefer to have the sample buttons assigned as buttons rather than notes, so I could work on a return and hopefully turn the light off after the button is pressed. I’m not sure how to get MainStage to recognize this as a controller rather than an instrument. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Joe A
    Re: MainStage and the PreSonus Atom
    Hi Student444637 - From the description I'm unclear on what you're looking to do.. It sounds like you're successfully triggering audio in MainStage from the pads in the Atom -- are the audio files being triggered individual instrument notes or audio loops/grooves? I'm a little confused when you say [ prefer to have the sample buttons assigned as buttons rather than notes ] ..? As I understand it, the pads in the Atom output MIDI notes. Are the "buttons" you're referring to the pads in the Atom, or graphic buttons in MainStage that trigger the audio files? And I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by [ so I could work on a return (?) and hopefully turn the light off after the button is pressed ]..? Remember, I'm not seeing the screen you're working with in MainStage, so you may need to provide a more detailed description of that, as well as exactly how it's working now (what's triggering what) and how you'd rather it would work.. :-)
  • Student444637
    Thanks for the help. The pads on the sample pad are notes, but I want MainStage to interpret them as buttons. This can be achieved with other programs by mapping the action on the external device to “Button 1” rather than “C1.” This is useful for a sample pad because if I want to turn off the backlight on a pad after it has been pressed, I need to be able to return a message via MIDI to the sample pad. I cannot do that to my knowledge if MainStage interprets the pad as a note.
  • Joe A
    It sounds like you may be looking for the kind of integration that the Atom seems to offer only with Studio One -- as far as I can determine it's only a simple controller with other DAWs, and the pads will only output MIDI notes or CC messages (Bank 1 only?), in Advanced mode. On the other hand, MainStage has a lot of options for controller assignments, so maybe there could be a way to accomplish what you want via the Assignments & Mappings settings..? (I'm still not clear on too many details -- how is the Atom currently working with MainStage, what's being triggered (notes, loops, music via a Playback plug-in?), what MIDI message you need to return to the Atom, etc)..
  • Student444637
    I'm not too certain I understand the relevance of what is being triggered. In this case, I'm triggering audio files via the playback plugin. It's working marvelously...but they're being triggered as C1, etc. I really would prefer them to be triggered as a button press and eliminate actual musical notes from that part of the equation, as we have a number of other instruments using those notes and I'm attempting to eliminate any confusion. Additionally, if the Atom is perceived as an instrument versus a controller, I don't see a way to send return messages to it, since those pads are notes rather than buttons. I can send return messages to the Axiom 61s with certain button presses because those buttons actually register as buttons in Main Stage.
  • Joe A
    Ah, ok, now I understand! Unfortunately, if you're thinking of what Axiom calls DirectLink or HyperControl mode (which promises the two-way functionality via a dedicated device profile, according to the docs), then apparently you're not going to get that with the Atom and MainStage -- again, as far as I can tell, if this type of connection is implemented at all in the Atom it's only with Studio One, but not with other DAWs. Of course, I don't have an Atom here to experiment with, but from the available documentation it doesn't look like you're going to get that functionality with the MainStage/Atom combination. If you've gotten Axiom to work with MainStage in the way you want, maybe you can get a hold of one of the smaller models instead? As far as avoiding the use of notes as triggers, even with the Atom you could apparently have the pads send CCs instead of notes, and use those to trigger audio via the Playback plug-in (as in the screenshot above); no two-way control, but that seems like it would avoid any potential used-note confusion..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: