macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Cormac D
    Mainstage 3 crashes my MacBook
    HI I'm using MainStage 3 in OS Catalina on a Mac Book Pro (Mid 2015). It will load up a preset but as soon as I try to add another strip channel or even edit the sound (basically when I touch the strip or fader) it crashes the Mac and I have to restart. Any advice?
  • Joe A
    Re: Mainstage 3 crashes my MacBook
    Hi Cormac D - I can't reproduce that here—adding or editing channel strips works reliably (MainStage 3.4.2, Mojave 10.14). Catalina is well-known to still have problems with audio software & plug-ins, even Apple software (like MS, GB, & Logic), and I did find several reports of people having the same issue with MainStage 3.4.3 on Catalina, so it may be a bug related to either that MS version or Catalina (or the combination). At least one user reports that reverting to MainStage 3.4.2 stopped the crashes, so if that applies in your case, it might be worth a try; another says the issue doesn't occur with a new/plain Concert, so that would also be worth a try.. It sounds like the above scenario might be a likely culprit, but you could also try any of these standard troubleshooting steps below: - Hard shutdown & restart - Turn off WiFi while running MS. - Delete MS Preferences (save them on the desktop as a BU if desired) - Temporary disable AU plugins (though if the crashing is related to a specific action, that's a less likely factor). - Try the same behavior that triggers the crash in different MS files/Concerts - Try the same behavior that triggers the crash in a new (relatively) blank Concert (like Keyboard Minimalist) - Try the same behavior that triggers the crash running MainStage under a new (test) User - Revert to an older version of MainStage (as suggested above) - If running a older version of MS, update it (but always save the current version as a renamed .zip file, just in case) - If possible, try the same behavior that triggers the crash while booted into an older macOS version [pre-Catalina]
  • Cormac D
    Re: Mainstage 3 crashes my MacBook
    Thanks for this...really helpful. I’ll let you know when I’ve tried out these suggestions and let you know what works.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: