macProVideo.com
Forums
This thread relates to...
MainStage 3 101
Core Training: MainStage 3 Explored
by: Vanacoro
More Info
  • Student455562
    How to import controller assignment in Mainstage?
    I am trying to set up default midi assignments for Arturia VSTs in Mainstage. I was able to find 'save channel strip settings', but this did not save my mappings to the VST controls. It also saved the patch, so is not exactly what I wanted to achieve. I don't actually want to save the channel strip. I just want to save a template for midi assignments that can be loaded. If I update the assignments it would ideally update or at least be loadable by each patch. So how do you just save the mapped midi assignments as a template so that it can be loaded easily for any instance of that instrument (regardless of selected patch)?
  • Joe A
    Re: How to import controller assignment in Mainstage?
    I don't see any way to directly save mappings as a template—they're saved as part of a Patch or Concert—but it seems that if you make some assignments to controls in a particular instrument plug-in and save that setup as a Patch or Concert, then if you load a different Plug-in Setting in the same plug-in (from within the instrument plug-in itself) the mapping assignments to controls on that plug-in remain (if you load a different Channel Strip with the same instrument plug-in the mapping assignments are blown out). Maybe that would work at least to some degree for what you have in mind? I've linked this thread to a MainStage course—there are two videos on Assignments & Mapping (21 & 22), maybe you'll see something in one of them that gives you some other ideas..
  • Student455562
    Yes, copying a Mainstage patch and then manually changing the program / patch in the VST is what I am currently doing. The main problem with that is that I am mapping fairly complex analog emulations (with a lot of assignments), and as I use them more I will find ways to optimise the assignments better, or possibly even add more controllers. It's surprising Mainstage would not provide a way to apply a template, otherwise that's a lot of copy/paste/deleting/renaming patches for a large complex set. It may end up being a case of just doing that. I'm still in the process of figuring out what setup is going to work. May not be Mainstage. Perhaps one of the other alternatives like Gig Performer could do it, or some custom setup in Bitwig. The video just covers the basics really. Anyway, thanks I appreciate the reply!
  • Joe A
    Ah, I get it, you want to be able to tweak/update your assignments and have those changes apply to older patches as well, and not just for controls in a single plug-in but for complex Channel Strip setups possibly with multiple instruments and effects. Yes, having to swap out individual Plug-In Settings, while doable, would certainly be far more cumbersome than you'd want it to be. I'm actually not that surprised the MainStage doesn't have that level of flexibility in regard to MIDI/control assignments—Logic's way of handling MIDI assignments can be equally frustrating for some applications.. :-)
  • Student455562
    Yes exactly. Bitwig can handle this kind of stuff pretty well so maybe I will try using it as a live rig as well as for production
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: