• Mubygou
    Posts: 2
    Joined: Aug 17th, 2012
    Copyright registration
    Hello Paul, I write and record my songs independently. I have a DBA. On the eco register should I state that I am the publisher of my songs regardless of whether distribution of any type has occurred at the time I am filling out the registration? If I register my songs as published by my DBA can they be transferred to another publishing company later if desired? After registering I will be submitting my songs and recordings of those songs to Taxi listings in hopes of my songs and their recordings being used in TV or film. Do I only need SR registrations of the songs I'll submit to Taxi? In other words will my authorship of the songs be registered automatically by SR registrations. Lastly if I want to register several of my songs and recordings at the same time in a collection in order to lower the cost do I click the NEW option and enter each title. Doesn't that enter a new song registration? Thank you, Larry
  • Paul Bissell
    Posts: 73
    Joined: Jan 8th, 2010
    Re: Re: Copyright registration
    Objects and Space (awesome. PBissell is sooooo lame in comparison!) PA or PAu - that is the question. The big differences are 1) The copyright length is different 2) The deposit of evidence is slightly different and 3) If you say the work is published (and its a song that has been recorded) then it can be filed on for a Mech Compulsory License. The only exception to this is works that are registered in sheet music form only. A piece of sheet music be published, but the PA claimant still holds the right of first publication in recorded form. Of note: A supplementary registration (Form CA for fixing errata or "amplifying" a previous registration) is not needed where the work was registered as unpublished when it was actually published at the time of registration. The opposite is not true however. Yes - copyright can be transferred. You need to inform the copyright office. See Circular 12 for all the details and the cover sheet. The transfer will usually end up online as a V document. I have never done anything with Taxi so I can't say. If you registered an SR, and if the registration was the same for both PA and SR, then when you register you should have to write in the Author information as well. If taxi is requiring copyright office registrations, I would have to imagine an SR would be just fine since on the Taxi forms you would have to list both - right? (again, I'm haven't done anything with Taxi) Multiple registrations via one "Collection" was covered (finally!) in Music Business 103. The collection has multiple "contents titles" within the title of the collection - that is what the TYPE is for all the song titles you enter via the NEW button. Cool?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: