macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Robg
    Instrument Banks in Kontakt
    The Exploring Kontakt tutorial by Scott Freiman contains a section on instrument banks which looks like an interesting alternative to creating keyswitched instruments. In the tutorial, Scott changes instruments within a bank by sending program control changes. I assume he has a midi controller with a program change function (?) I am using Kontakt as a plugin with Logic 9.1.1, and I have a Yamaha ES keyboard and Mackie Control Universal midi controller. I can change instruments in a Kontakt bank within logic by clicking the mouse on the program parameter in the Kontakt channel strip (via a multi instrument I created in the environment). Is there a simple way to send program change messages by the MCU or midi keyboard without having to use the mouse?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Instrument Banks in Kontakt
    Hi Rob Can you assign/map a control on the MCU to Kontakt's program change in the interface itself? Cheers R
  • Robg
    Hi Rounik, I had been trying to solve the issue by using the "learn midi" function in Kontakt and also by creating a transformer in the logic environment, but both of these efforts led to fruitless hours of rtfm (one reason I enjoy macprovideos is to avoid just that). Fortunately, your post got me to thinking about the scripts in Kontakt and sure enough, I just found a factory script which transforms notes to Program Changes. This works great and looks like a quick and easy way to set up to select different articulations for (say) a bank of different stringed instrument articulations (which seems much easier than creating a custom-made keyswitched instrument) - although I may change my mind after watching all of Native INstruments 205 - Advanced Kontakt! Thanks, Robg
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Rob Excellent idea! Use a script. It should be very possible to setup an environment to achieve this - but a script sounds much better suited! The Advanced Kontakt is getting closer and closer day by day... :) Rounik
  • freepoulite
    Hi rob I would like to know how do you do exactly for convert note message into program changes i've find "note numbers to CC" in the factory scripts of kontakt but is it that? I really need to do that could you explain it to me if you have enought time to thx
  • Robg
    Hi thx, I think the factory script you need is the one called "notes to prog change". Here is a description of the method I use: In Kontakt 4, I create a new instrument bank. I drag the instruments I want (for example, different articulations of a stringed instrument) to empty slots in the bank "matrix". I click on the script editor icon and choose, from the factory presets, >transform>notes to program change. I set a note range in the script options which is outside the normal playing range of the instrument (eg. C-1 to C0). I can select bank locations to correspond with just white notes (001,003,005,006,008 etc) and/or arrange the articulations to match common settings from other plugin libraries so that vibrato or staccato, etc, is always on the key I expect. I have found that it is easiest to use a separate midi keyboard (I have a korg nano key) to trigger the notes which change the programs/instruments. I then save the bank in the quickload directory. I hope this helps. regards, Robg
  • Felezui
    ..No have tried it, I a doing something wrong, I was at the script mode, let say I have loaded 2 instruments...please step by step... Thanks, Ronik
  • Felezui
    ..No have tried it, Im doing something wrong, I was at the script mode, let say I have loaded 2 instruments..into my banks.please step by step.. I went to key ranges What should i do next, please give me an example Thanks
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: