macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Nudoguy
    Instrument selection in Kontakt
    Sorry if this has been discussed before - I just bought Kontakt and Scott's tutorials. Scott keeps saying that you can select and set different sounds to different notes, for example in the Urban Beats drumkits. It seems to me that the configurations are preset and that by clicking on the Note dial, or selecting an instrument under the Selected Instr menu, you are only changing what is displayed on the Kontakt interface. For example, load 087-African Night (as in Scott's tutorial). Play C1 and you get "Sub Bass" as the instrument. The Note dial also points at C1. (Click it for info) Now, go to the drop-down menu under "Selected Instr" and select Short Snare. The Note dial moves to show Db1. Play C1 - it is still set to Sub Bass. No change. The Sel by MIDI switch has no bearing on this either. I see no way to assign different instruments to different keys (apart from going into the Mapping Editor of course). So, it seems to me that, unless I'm missing something, Scott is wrong about this. Same applies to all other similar settings as in World Drums etc. ??? Colin
  • Nudoguy
    Re: Instrument selection in Kontak...
    Any feedback on this?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Instrument selection in Kontakt...
    Hi Colin, Scott's away at the moment. Might be better to get an answer directly from him. Can you please point me to the relevant videos you are referring to and I'll check 'em out too. Thanks Rounik
  • Nudoguy
    Thanks Rounik! I'll wait..... Check out no 42 Urban Beats Collection Part 2 from around 0:30 Scott says: " ...I can dial in a note and that way I can map a sound to each one of these keys..." As far as I can see, you can't change the mapping as it seems to be preset by NI.
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks Colin. I'll check it out over the next couple of days. :) R
  • Vawymia
    First of all, let me apologize for the length of time it has taken me to respond. I have been away without computer access. Colin is absolutely correct. You can select an instrument from the drop down list or by MIDI and change its parameters. But, you can not change the instrument without opening up the Instrument Editor. When I speak about "mapping a sound," I should have been clearer that I meant the characteristics of the sound and not the sound itself. Thanks so much for pointing out the error.
  • Nudoguy
    Thanks Scott. I'm new to Kontakt and was confused by this.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: