macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Tajijya
    Modern Drummer Multi Output Timbre
    Hi there, I've setup and saved a multi output in Logic 9 using Studio Drummer's session & garage kits. These sound and work great. When setting up a multi output for Modern Drummer the individual output sound dampened, as if the high end is very diminished. Modern Drummer sounds great when using a single stereo track in Logic, where all channels in the mixer are routed to one output channel. All of the attack of the grooves and tone sound really great and it's just not there in the multi output I've setup. I've A/B'd stereo vs multi output for each kit piece and kit mics and the top end is definitely missing from the multi output. All of the aux tracks in Logic have signal/route correctly for all of the pieces of the kit & kit mics and in Kontakt for the multi output. I've also made sure the velocity curve is and velocity for the grooves are OK and there's nothing different than when I use Studio Drummer. I'm trying to figure out if this is a NI or Logic issue, perhaps how they work together, and getting the multi output to sound as good as a stereo track in Logic. Has anyone created a multi output for Modern Drummer in Logic 9 OK? Thanks in advance
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Modern Drummer Multi Output Timbre
    Gosh, thats strange. Do you have another DAW set up on your Mac? If you do try setup a multi out device there and see if the same thing happens. If it does then it must be an NI issue.
  • Tajijya
    Unfortunately I don't have another Daw on my Mac to verify if I get the same or different results.
  • Tajijya
    I contacted NI support and the sound is different when used in a multi-timbral environment because the master effects are bypassed when changing the mic output from Master to anything else. This is done by design since it is assumed that if you're routing the mic individually in your sequencer then you are doing so in order to use your own plugins to create your own mix. I hope this information helps others and not sure if I missed that in any of the user documentation. I'd think it would a great option to be able to select if you want the master effects on/off for a multi. I've been able to create some great drum sounds so far with the master effects turned off in a multi. It just takes a while to get the drum mix there. Speed of the workflow is important part of creation process for me and I need to find another solution perhaps a template in Logic. I've also recently started experimenting with the built in effects by clicking the wrench icon and working on the individual buses for each part of the kit. It was able get some nice drums sounds and I found it useful to understand how to work with these effects. I just can't use any of my plugins in Logic on individual drum tracks.
  • GaryHiebner
    Thanks for the info DC0208. That makes sense. So you can process the multi stems either with Kontak's built-in effects of with the DAW you are using it with. Suppose it gives your more options to mix the drum elements as opposed to just working with the stereo output of the drums as a whole.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: