macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rasydye
    take adventage of both pro tools and logic
    hi, paul, first of all, thanks a lot for your wonderful new tutorial on pro tools. it's concise and touches the point like all the lessons from you! my situation is that i do most or all of the instrumental parts and arrangements of my music in logic, but i do audio recording for vocal parts with pro tools. one of ther reason is that i use a protools interface, 002, which could give me a better result than using together with logic. after putting down the vocal tracks and comp them, i import the comped track into logic for mixing and production. it has been working fine for me, but i'm still wondering whether there would be some better ways which could combine using the two programs even better, especially i really want to use the powerful tools in pro tools much more. another reason i do most things in logic is that the music i can export from logic can only be the one combimed with different tracks, other than individual tracks(unless i bounce each track individually), since i am using instrument track which can't be exported as audio. it's my understanding, but not sure whether it's correct. in terms of mixing and mastering, which program is even more powerful, or doesn't really matter much? i will deeply appreciate any suggesions from anyone who would like to lend me some light on this!! thanks a lot in advance. cx
  • Martin
    Re: take adventage of both pro tools and logic
    I think you will always have this workflow issue if you need to use both applications. you can set logic to use your 002 interface so maybe there's no need to track your vocals in pro tools? As for which is best for mixing, it's really whichever one you feel more comfortable using. I would say they are both equal for this purpose. But, I don't use Pro Tools, so maybe I'm not a good judge.
  • Bal
    I come from ProTools TDM and I did tons of mixing in ProTools. If I should compare ProTools - Logic 7 = Protools will win. But if we put ProTools - Logic 8 = Logic is a winner to me. So as for now I actually dumped ProTools completely (to expensive; you need to buy all plugins; RME is the best sounding I/O for me). This is only my opinion and If protools works for some one else better - so be it. Bal
  • Bal
    i would like to add that I just finished my first CD project in Logic 8; recording; mixing and mastering and I am really happy. I don't think that I would be able to get such great quality in ProTools (I am still talking TDM not LE). bal
  • ptguy
    Hi, new here. I'm thinking of getting Pro Tools. I 've been checking out video resourses for learning before I dive in. Pro Tools seems great. I've been using Sonar for a few years. I record only audio and work with midi for my background tracks. Can pro Tools import whole midi files and distribute each instrument on its own track, automatically like Sonar? Thanks
  • vybechyle
    Syringe, buddy... I am a PT guy and love it!!!! However, when it comes to midi I have to give it to Logic 8 hands down. There is no better way to go. Also, If your budget is limited I would also suggest logic 8 ($499). Now I am relatively new to Logic so I haven't learned all of the ends and out when it comes to editing audio with Logic. As it stands PT is definitely my 1st choice when it comes to audio. As a result I have both. At any rate, kiss Sonar goodbye! My experience with Sonar forced me to buy PT many years ago.
  • mirek
    i think it is pretty well know that protools is more a studio app.., it only has about 60% midi function compared to near any other pro music app.., logic, cubase.., but having said that.., for the studio.., and if you have the extra money for the DV Toolkit (what i rip off, there should be a warning on the box.., protools has near no plug ins.., but for an extra $1200 you can have a complete protools)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: